Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Touch in goal

Please can someone point me in the direction of the relevant law(s), I think I must be going blind!
    Red kick the ball into Blue’s in-goal. Blue pick up the ball dart half a metre left then half a metre right, as they think about trying to run it out of their own in goal, and then run into touch in goal. Thanks

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Touch in goal

12.11 Apart from at a kick-off or restart kick, if the ball is played or taken into in-goal by an attacking player and is made dead by an opponent, play is restarted with a 22-metre drop-out.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    12.11 Apart from at a kick-off or restart kick, if the ball is played or taken into in-goal by an attacking player and is made dead by an opponent, play is restarted with a 22-metre drop-out.
    Are you missing the bit about running around like a headless chicken before making it dead!
    My exaggeration!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Being a headless chicken not covered by laws.. crossref’s response still applies

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

and here's the bit about kick offs (12.9):

If the ball is kicked into the opponents’ in-goal without touching any player and an opponent grounds the ball without delay or it goes dead through in-goal, the non-kicking team has the option of having the kick retaken or a scrum.

Note the "without delay" which would preclude the headless chicken option.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman! Is it entirely unreasonable of me though to think that this ought to be referenced in Law 21 (in goal)? The only way an ignoramus (like me) would find it is if we already knew to look in kick off and restarts, not an obvious place to look since the kick WASN'T a kick off or restart! Particularly, I might add, since in other situations Touch in Goal does not lead to a kick at all. AND, I can't find any point at which "touch in goal" is defined as making the ball dead. This is probably something that's old hat to most of you on here, but as someone who has returned to reffing after 10 years out, and has to show and tell to spectators at schoolboy level why the decisions I make are (often/usually) right, this version of the laws seems rather arcane. I'm sure the Laws of the Game were more straightforward to use when I was a player!
    Last edited by GuildfordRef; 4 Weeks Ago at 21:11.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In the recent law rewrite the author/s have had the primary goal of shortening the law book. In order to do so, they have removed any duplication (aka cross referencing) which has led to the problem you've encountered.

The reason the described event is in the RESTART law is because the outcome of the event is a 22 drop out (aka a RESTART). I agree with you that maybe this would be better placed in the IN GOAL law.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    In the recent law rewrite the author/s have had the primary goal of shortening the law book. In order to do so, they have removed any duplication (aka cross referencing) which has led to the problem you've encountered.

The reason the described event is in the RESTART law is because the outcome of the event is a 22 drop out (aka a RESTART). I agree with you that maybe this would be better placed in the IN GOAL law.
    Thanks, that's helpful. The absence of cross-referencing does seem to be done forgetting that the majority of people who blow the whistle are not in fact well qualified (or even any form of qualified) refs. The principle we use as teachers is that key resources should be laid out so that the most ignorant can find their answers rather than just so that the least ignorant can: maybe the compilers of the Laws should consider that as a principle!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm a little confused as to whether we have the right answer here.

Ball kicked into in goal, made dead without delay, clearly a 22 DO. But in this case the player has moved around, let's extrapolate and say they run around trying to escape the in goal, but run out of room and go into touch in goal. What is the restart now? They did not make the ball dead without delay, however the defending team also did not put the ball in the in goal area. I genuinely don't know what the restart should be here.

I'd like to say5m attacking scrum, but it doesn't seem right as the other team kicked the ball into the in goal area. But a 22DO doesn't seem right either as the other team dicked around trying to run it out of in goal then deliberately ran into touch in goal.

Help!

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You're overcomplicating it.

The need for an immediate grounding is only when the ball comes in from a restart. Otherwise they can do what they want in-goal; they're under no obligation to do anything quickly.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information