Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

      
  1. #1
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    896
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    213

    Default New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

    Out of the mouth of another prop, in response to a player taking the knee whilst waiting for a scrum restart.

    However this is the same player who refused to bind to his hooker and setup a scrum because he didn’t have to until time was on (I’d taken time off and told them it wouldn’t go back on till the ball went in after a number of mysterious time wasting resets with 5 mins to go)

  2. #2
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    889
    Thanks (Received)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default Re: New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

    Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Out of the mouth of another prop, in response to a player taking the knee whilst waiting for a scrum restart.

    However this is the same player who refused to bind to his hooker and setup a scrum because he didn’t have to until time was on (I’d taken time off and told them it wouldn’t go back on till the ball went in after a number of mysterious time wasting resets with 5 mins to go)
    Personally I wouldn't agree with your 'method' of time management!
    As I see it we shouldn't be playing rugby while the clock is stopped, I'd agree with the prop in this instance.

  3. #3
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    896
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    213

    Default Re: New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Personally I wouldn't agree with your 'method' of time management!
    As I see it we shouldn't be playing rugby while the clock is stopped, I'd agree with the prop in this instance.
    They weren’t playing rugby when the clock was running, this was the third reset, none had got to engagement, and the oppos deserved a fair chance to play their scrum and try and get the score back that they needed. Do you really think cynical time wasting is ok?

  4. #4

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    765
    Thanks (Received)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    204

    Default Re: New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

    Cynical time wasting is not okay and you should certainly take time off to deal with the matter and warn, but when you are expecting players to participate in actions that constitute ‘play’ then time should be on. Failure to engage or waste time should be penalised appropriately. Failure to bind can be penalised. You say that this was the third reset. If you thought it was time wasting why didn’t you penalise? 9.7(d)
    Last edited by Balones; 09-11-19 at 22:11.

  5. #5
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    889
    Thanks (Received)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default Re: New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

    Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Do you really think cynical time wasting is ok?
    Of course not!!

  6. #6

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,475
    Thanks (Received)
    113
    Likes (Received)
    1335

    Default Re: New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

    what does "taking the knee" mean in this context? Retieing a boot lace? Injured? Having a rest?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  7. #7
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    889
    Thanks (Received)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default Re: New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Cynical time wasting is not okay and you should certainly take time off to deal with the matter and warn, but when you are expecting players to participate in actions that constitute ‘play’ then time should be on. Failure to engage or waste time should be penalised appropriately. Failure to bind can be penalised. You say that this was the third reset. If you thought it was time wasting why didn’t you penalise? 9.7(d)
    Agree

  8. #8
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    896
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    213

    Default Re: New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    what does "taking the knee" mean in this context? Retieing a boot lace? Injured? Having a rest?
    Injury of some kind, wanting the physio

  9. #9
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    896
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    213

    Default Re: New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Cynical time wasting is not okay and you should certainly take time off to deal with the matter and warn, but when you are expecting players to participate in actions that constitute ‘play’ then time should be on. Failure to engage or waste time should be penalised appropriately. Failure to bind can be penalised. You say that this was the third reset. If you thought it was time wasting why didn’t you penalise? 9.7(d)
    Because I wasn’t suspicious until the third engagement failed (scrums had been poor and mismatched all game), so I chose to remove their motivation - something that has worked well for me in the past

  10. #10

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    765
    Thanks (Received)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    204

    Default Re: New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

    Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Because I wasn’t suspicious until the third engagement failed (scrums had been poor and mismatched all game), so I chose to remove their motivation - something that has worked well for me in the past
    If you weren’t suspicious until the third time then you had no reason to stop the clock up until then. If on the third one you are suspicious then stop the clock and warn that you are getting the idea that there is time wasting going on and that you are now likely to penalise for any delays. If the stoppages are genuine then unfortunately ‘tough’ on the losing side.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •