Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Folauís online comments have taken a turn for the worse.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Folauís online comments have taken a turn for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    Excessive swearing or threats/barbs that include issues that the player has no control over (gender, sexuality, race) will usually elicit a word to the captain to settle it down followed by other sanctions.
    might be worth checking with your overlords on this. I understand the ARU expects this stuff to elicit an automatic RC.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    might be worth checking with your overlords on this. I understand the ARU expects this stuff to elicit an automatic RC.
    I'll ask - given that our "Judiciary" appear to be much more interested in being heavy handed in punishing this sort of stuff than dangerous actions (ie a white player called the guy who had just dumped him on his head a "stupid f**king coconut" was up for 13 weeks while the tackler got the 1 week mandatory after a RC for a deliberate lift and slam) I wouldn't be surprised.

A genuine threat would get a RC, while an inappropriate barb would get a chat - I should have been more accurate.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I've been advised that direct abuse on the grounds of race/sexuality is a straight red. Jokey chat among teammates ("ah, stop whinging, you homo") I'd probably give a very firm warning and card at the second.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A quick word may be a risky strategy.
    If someone present subsequently makes a report of this sort of behaviour happening (which is entirely possible), then how you dealt with it will come under a lot of scrutiny

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    A lot of this discussion is far from rugby related

Some good rugby questions might be
    .. if you realised that a member of your grass roots rugby club is on YouTube delivering that sermon .. what would you do ? If anything

If someone on a rugby field said to the other team something like, no wonder your clubhouse got struck by lightning , it was God .. because of ... reasons

As a ref what would you do. If anything
    A while back, one rugby player called another rugby player "gypsy boy". IIRC, it didn't end particularly well for the name caller.

(At the time, I didn't see what all the fuss was about, as "gypsy" simply does not have the negative connotations here that it does in England)

As for Folau, well, he's as dumb as a bag of hammers (or as my dear departed da would have said - "as dim as a Toc H lamp").
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    I've been advised that direct abuse on the grounds of race/sexuality is a straight red. Jokey chat among teammates ("ah, stop whinging, you homo") I'd probably give a very firm warning and card at the second.
    Incident 1) Red player to a Red player "**** off Homo"
    Incident 2) Blue player to Red player "**** off Homo"

Do you Red Card both? If not, why not? Both are abuse and I've seen plenty of hostilities within teams/clubs that go back a long time including a fight in a clubhouse after a match.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    A while back, one rugby player called another rugby player "gypsy boy". IIRC, it didn't end particularly well for the name caller.

(At the time, I didn't see what all the fuss was about, as "gypsy" simply does not have the negative connotations here that it does in England)

As for Folau, well, he's as dumb as a bag of hammers (or as my dear departed da would have said - "as dim as a Toc H lamp").
    Joe Marler is an oft misunderstood player. Quite what he’s trying to get across in this prematch interview I don’t know. “Taking the horse to the water, and asking it to drink or swim.” is a mixed metaphor if ever I heard one.

Come back Eric Cantona all is forgiven, we have forgotten about the seagulls remark, honest.

It appears the Welsh prop called him a ”posh English c?nt !”. Some would consider that mitigating circumstances. While I could well imagine Joe Marler coming out with some racist Irish comment in my presence. Not convinced I’d voice my objections too loudly at the bar in the Stoop. Now if he made the same comment at a bar in Limerick of a Friday night, I might well pull him up over if. The odds would be less in his favour. Although to be fair, the bouncers would probaly step in to save me, and kick me out, and apologize to Mr Marler for my drunkenness.

I had heard the Talbot House story before, but your post made me google it once more.
    (To figure out what “Dim as a Toc aiche lamp” meant.)
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 1 Week Ago at 10:11.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what weíre inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    Incident 1) Red player to a Red player "**** off Homo"
    Incident 2) Blue player to Red player "**** off Homo"

Do you Red Card both? If not, why not? Both are abuse and I've seen plenty of hostilities within teams/clubs that go back a long time including a fight in a clubhouse after a match.
    Both, it's a hostile context. What I wouldn't necessarily card first time is "friendly fire" (although if I learn that's expected here I'd happily change my position). It's about context, not the noise of the word being uttered.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I would have some trouble with the word 'gay', particularly amongst younger players. 'Gay' has evolved from having a homosexual connotation to be a general derogatory comment.

So, "get up, ya soft gay so&so" no longer is a homophobic slur. Or is it?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well, it's not being used as a compliment, is it? It's being used that way precisely because of the connotations. No better than "homo" or "fag".

No tolerance. Offski.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information