Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Folauís online comments have taken a turn for the worse.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Folauís online comments have taken a turn for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    France won’t have to extradite Israel Folau, if he lives and works in France, he will be subject to the Laws of this Land. I’d strongly suggest he watch what he posts online, only I’d hate to spoil the fun of seeing him dragged before the courts here, before too long. The debate about hate speech and freedom of speech is intricate, not sure IF is intelligent enough not to overstep the fine line drawn in French Law. Not sure he even speaks French, so his imminent conviction may come as a surprise to him.

In the linked case French courts found that the teenager concerned was entitled to her opinion that Islam was a religion of hate; sSince she insulted the religion and not any individuals. No blasphemy law in France. Those (muslims) who responded with hate speech against her homosexuality however risk conviction. Folau’s position is closer to the latter. That is he risks conviction for hate speech (here in France) if he strays from his current generalizations.

@Jarrod He doesn’t live in Oz anymore. So Australian criminal code will be no defence under the French legal system. While I don’t agree with the French interpretation, his comments are bordering on hate speech in this country.

I agree.

France is a very, very progressive country, and it does no tolerate discrimination at all. I could not think of a worse place (other than an Islamic country) for a homophobic bigot like Folau to live. If he comes with his bigoted biblical hate speech there, his "strongly held beliefs" will not be a defence, and the hammer will come down on him very, very hard.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post

I have misused nothing. Everything I have said here is verifiable.

EDIT: Oh, if you don't believe that Folau's comments have incited threats

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...heika/11513484

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...el-Cheika.html
    Did you read article or just the headline? Both articles only contained this statement from the coach Cheika. It may be verifiable that Coach Cheika wasn't overly concerned. Please note his use of just to describe incidents. No incidents were specifically mentioned or reported.

After he made the decision to leave the controversial fullback out of the team, he received threats, The Sydney Morning Herald reported.

'People were saying all sorts of stuff,' the Wallabies coach said.

'Just threats I was getting; people on the street, some to my face, a couple at some games. It was just crazy stuff.'
    Last edited by Not Kurt Weaver; 23-02-20 at 02:02.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

You'll have to ask the authorities that.

We kinda have a pretty valid determination from representatives from both parties (IF and AR), which was 8M. I think they may have had some experience with law when they came to this conclusion.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    France wonít have to extradite Israel Folau,
    I was suggesting that France extradite IF to Australia for the alleged hate speech has previously committed.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    Did you read article or just the headline? Both articles only contained this statement from the coach Cheika. It may be verifiable that Coach Cheika wasn't overly concerned. Please note his use of just to describe incidents. No incidents were specifically mentioned or reported.

After he made the decision to leave the controversial fullback out of the team, he received threats, The Sydney Morning Herald reported.

'People were saying all sorts of stuff,' the Wallabies coach said.

'Just threats I was getting; people on the street, some to my face, a couple at some games. It was just crazy stuff.'
    First, you should understand that he isn't using the word "just" the same way in both sentences. In the first sentence, he uses it in the first adverbial form meaning only or simply, as in "it was just a metre long". In the second sentence, he is using it in the second adverbial form, to make a statement stronger, as in "that is just deplorable"

However, a threat is a threat! Ask yourself if Cheika would have received these threats if the bigoted Folau rant had never happened, or if he dropped Folau, or any other player, for poor form, or for turning up to training late, or for breaking team protocols?

Answer the question honestly
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I was suggesting that France extradite IF to Australia for the alleged hate speech has previously committed.
    They won't have to. I am fairly good at reading religious froot loops (on another forum I debate YEC's, and believe me, you will struggle to find another group that contains more bigotry, more religious nutjobbery and more outright Stupidity than that crowd)

If I read Folau correctly, he will not be able to shut up - he could shut up when his job was on the line in Australia, and I predict he won'tl be able to now. Did you see his vile statements about the victims of the Australian bushfires, in which he said they were suffering, "a little taste of God's judgement". This is while all the crap was still going on with Rugby Australia!

Folau is a very nasty man who is utterly insensitive to the pain and suffering of others.
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

However, a threat is a threat! Ask yourself if Cheika would have received these threats if the bigoted Folau rant had never happened, or if he dropped Folau, or any other player, for poor form, or for turning up to training late, or for breaking team protocols?

Answer the question honestly
    No Cheika would not have received these threats, BUT by following your "logic tree", Ask yourself would Wigan have scheduled a pride day if the IF rant never happened?

Answer the question honestly?

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

T you will struggle to find another group that contains more bigotry, more religious nutjobbery and more outright Stupidity than that crowd).
    Well about 1.7 million people were killed and there is a rugby team named after these fighters. This club even kept the name after a terror attack in a mosque occurred. How insensitive can humans be?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No Cheika would not have received these threats, BUT by following your "logic tree", Ask yourself would Wigan have scheduled a pride day if the IF rant never happened?

Answer the question honestly?
    Yes, they would have.

The Gay Pride day has been an annual event for Wigan since 2016... that's two years before Folau's rant
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes, they would have.

The Gay Pride day has been an annual event for Wigan since 2016... that's two years before Folau's rant
    this is what i wrote about, would the wigan warriors had a pride day the same day they play the dragons?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/29/...-and-catalans/

English Super League club Wigan Warriors have responded to Israel Folau's return to rugby league by declaring their round eight clash with Catalans will be a 'Pride Day' celebration on March 22.

Just 20 minutes after the French organisation unveiled their controversial recruit, Wigan announced that the match against Folau's new club will be dedicated to the LGBTQ+ community and their players will don rainbow socks and laces for the occasion.

Thread Information