Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: captain asking not to play advantage

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    We have?

When and where is this to be found?

FWIW I agree with everything that you have answered, but would probably allow the #9 a quick tap but wouldn't play the "Not 10" if he deliberately ran into retreating players. Although, to be fair to the #9, they'd only want a quick tap once we are close to 'advantage over' or 'no advantage coming lets go back for the original offence'. (And then the same caveat of deliberately running into retreating players would apply)
    I'm not in England. So you may not have had a similar directive. Hense the very deliberate use of "WE". I remember it coming in when 9s, in particular, were dropping the ball and then tapping and lookin for the PK.

For me you are inviting a flash point. But you do what you are directed to do by your union, not mine.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    That's interesting, so for the sake of clarity, the directive specifically tells referees not to allow a quick tap in this scenario?
    That is correct. As stated I am not sure if it can from wR or just the WRU. If it is the second it would not apply outside Wales.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldnt allow them to go quick if they declined the advantage, im pretty sure that we got the same directive as Marc, the problem is if we are 7m out and blue have a pen advantage, Red are still in their defensive set up, if they declined the advantage and you allowed them to go quickly then Red have no chance of getting onside and Blue effectively get a soft try or PT and YC for me thats too much of a price to pay for Red.

Give the pen but if they go quick pull them back.
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Madrefs
    Grade
    Adviser
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
    I wouldnt allow them to go quick if they declined the advantage, im pretty sure that we got the same directive as Marc, the problem is if we are 7m out and blue have a pen advantage, Red are still in their defensive set up, if they declined the advantage and you allowed them to go quickly then Red have no chance of getting onside and Blue effectively get a soft try or PT and YC for me thats too much of a price to pay for Red.

You can manage this by telling Blue to wait until you’ve made the mark, and then decide just how quickly you want to make it.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post

It's quite a lot of sympathy for the team who just committed a PK offence 7m from their own line. Need to make sure they are ready before the the PK can be taken?

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You can make sure they have at least a minimal chance to compete. It's one of the principles of the game...

Thread Information