Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The crusade continues

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Sad news from NZ: the Crusaders still dont get it
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...droidApp_Tweet

I consider that to be great news - keep the name, change the imagery.

"With no right decision to make in the aftermath of the Christchurch terrorist attacks the club sensibly opted to listen to its lifeblood!"

A commonsense outcome, thought I expect not one that will satisfy the politically correct. I suggest its you who doesn't get it crossref.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What about Saracens? Must they change their name and logo too?
    ”The club's name is said to come from the "endurance, enthusiasm and perceived invincibility of Saladin's desert warriors of the 12th century".

Or the Exeter Chiefs? God knows the Native Americans have been discriminated against. Perhaps the English would like to put their house in order, before chucking stones at other folk’s glasshouses.

Still clutching on to the last vestiges of the British empire.
    The ICJ advisory opinion in February stated the decolonisation of Mauritius was not lawfully completed because the islands were split off from the territory three years before independence, and declared “the UK is under an obligation to bring to an end its administration of the Chagos archipelago as rapidly as possible”.
    The rest of us have moved on. Let us know how ye get on with writing a National anthem for England. Scotland and Northern Ireland wish to remain in Europe, when you lot Brexit. I strongly suspect the treatment of Irish independence was also unlawful, as was the invasion of Rockall. Godness, your grandchildren aren’t half going to have problems sorting out the mess you left ‘em. Don’t worry about the New Zealanders’ club names, you have far more pressing issues to resolve.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 1 Week Ago at 21:11.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Correct me if I am wrong, but neither the Saracens nor the native Americans existed with the sole purpose of instigating religious wars and persecution ?
    If they were, then I would agree that the name is equally as undesirable for a rugby club as "crusaders"

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Ref'd social games only
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Sad news from NZ: the Crusaders still dont get it
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...droidApp_Tweet
    You continue to throw out fishing lines when it is anything to do with NZ or the ABs

How about presenting your argument about what the Crusaders don't get!
    I tried to download the new Band-Aid song to support the fundraising to fight Ebola but my anti-virus program wouldn't let me

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixpat View Post
    You continue to throw out fishing lines when it is anything to do with NZ or the ABs

Don't be holding your breath now!
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Correct me if I am wrong, but neither the Saracens nor the native Americans existed with the sole purpose of instigating religious wars and persecution ?
    If they were, then I would agree that the name is equally as undesirable for a rugby club as "crusaders"
    Saladin’s Saracen army were engaged in a Holy war against the Crusaders. So it is the flip side of the same coin.
    If the name Crusaders is unacceptable, then Saracens is equally unacceptabe. They imposed their Sunni Muslim (own particular flavour of that ) religion on the region. Christians had been in the Levant long before Islam.
    Saladin’s every act was inspired by an intense and unwavering devotion to the idea of jihad, or holy war. It was an essential part of his policy to encourage the growth and spread of Muslim religious institutions. He courted their scholars and preachers, founded colleges and mosques for their use, and commissioned them to write edifying works, especially on the jihad itself.
    Source: Britannica.

As for the Native Americans, their culture was destroyed by “Europeans” instigating a war against these animalistic folk and persecute them to this day. It was a religious war with Christianity being imposed on all of North America. So a club using their War headdress without giving a fig for the surviving members of that culture, is equally repulsive. Just because such symbols are commonplace across the USA doesn’t make them acceptable. Native American populations are persecuted, even more than African Americans. Racism, is alive and well in the Western World. The headdress, not being a symbol of oppression, but rather a sign that the fans wearing it are usurping that culture for themselves, without standing up for the rights of Native Americans. If a club called itselt the Sikhs and started wearing fake Turbans to games, how would that sit with Punjabis in the UK? Remberance Day forgetfulness
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 1 Week Ago at 09:12.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixpat View Post

I think we've done that to death .. the crusaders were formed to conduct religious wars of aggression. For centuries this was viewed as a good thing ... but it wasn't really. In our modern world the crusades are a matter a of regret, not a matter for celebration / commemoration

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Crusade

a long and determined attempt to achieve something that you believe in strongly:

EG:

They have long been involved in a crusade for racial equality.

a moral crusade against drugs

Nothing to see.

Thread Information