Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Penalties and keeping track of them

The last few games Ive done , ive noticed that there are a lot of pens in the games.

I struggle to keep track of them, ive tried ticking my scorecard but when there are a few quickly taken pens you may not get the chance to do this.

The pens in question are spread out over the game and havent been cynical or in quick succession but they still mount up. so a team may have 15 pens spread out over the whole game for a range of different offences.

Any tips on how to keep track of the pen count ?
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Penalties and keeping track of them

clearly there is no time to make a note after each PK

So you keep track in your head, pausing to make a note of the total so far on your card when possible (eg at a lineout or scrum)...

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

15 penalties per team is pretty high.
    Maybe you need to focus more on managing penalties out of the game instead of trying to keep track of the high number!
    Are you vocal enough to be preventive or are you possibly blowing penalties that may not be material?

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Agree with CR. What's interesting besides the number is the distribution. Are they all different offences, or clustered around particular behaviours? If the former, could consistency or communication be improved? If the latter, would escalating to a card earlier help, or making a clear point in the PMB?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

agree that 15 for a team is quite high. Rule of thumb is max 20 penalties for both teams for the whole game.

Why are you trying to keep track of number & type of penalties for the whole game especially if they are evenly distributed? I'd be more inclined to focus on the 3 or 4 that all happen in quick succession.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
    The last few games Ive done , ive noticed that there are a lot of pens in the games.

I struggle to keep track of them, ive tried ticking my scorecard but when there are a few quickly taken pens you may not get the chance to do this.

The pens in question are spread out over the game and havent been cynical or in quick succession but they still mount up. so a team may have 15 pens spread out over the whole game for a range of different offences.

Any tips on how to keep track of the pen count ?
    Like you I used to record them in my scorebook with a note of the number and the offence (used a form of shorthand). If it was the case that my scorebook was quickly in and out of the pocket that was a sign that the count was increasing and so a word to the Captain of the relevant team.

You also need to start linking offences. By that I mean "Tackler Not rolling away" and "Hands in the Ruck" and "Offside at the Tackle/Ruck" need to be treated as Tackle/Ruck offences rather than 3 different types of offence. That way your game management will improve and you should then be able to identify the trends quicker and get the cheats off the part earlier

However, I over the summer I purchased the RefWatch and this has buttons that can be used to record the PK. Very effective as I also use it to record PK advantage that is played out.
    Last edited by beckett50; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:12.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

https://www.refscorer.com/shop/

The ref scorer can be used to count penalties.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    agree that 15 for a team is quite high. Rule of thumb is max 20 penalties for both teams for the whole game.

Why are you trying to keep track of number & type of penalties for the whole game especially if they are evenly distributed? I'd be more inclined to focus on the 3 or 4 that all happen in quick succession.
    Hi Dickie

Ive no problem with the 3 or 4 in quick succession, its the ones that just seem to rack up without any real trend. so you could have Red holding on, then blue in at the side, then blue high tackle, red playing a man in the line out all nicely spaced out in the first 20mins.

I spoke to another ref who suggested that I let the situation breathe for a second, I tend to blow quickly for say not rolling away at a ruck when another second the ball is available anyway and I then have the option of advantage if they really slowed down the ball or just playing on, having a word with the offending player at the next down time.

I tried this on Sunday and it def kept my pen count down without denying the non offending team the ability to play the ball.

Something to work on I suppose.
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I understand the rule of thumb comments but in many of my games, skill level, law knowledge and fitness are the major contributions to penalties rather than cynical!
    Ciaran Trainor

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm a very new ref. 1st season, I've had 5 matches. So my experience may not be all that helpful. At the low levels I ref at I always just wait after the offence (except for bad high tackles, blow straight away). That way you can always blow after 5 seconds or so. I tell the teams, I'll let you play rugby. If there's a player lying on the ground but the ball is playable, play it. As long as he's not actively stopping play (by grabbing the 9/ball or by lying on top of the ball), we'll play on. Ultimately I tell them to play till they hear the whistle. As a result I have a very low Pen count. Of any advantages I play I prob bring back 2/3rds of them (for PKs). That'll reduce for Knock-on advantage to about 1/3-1/2.

Thread Information