Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Offside by QTI

I'm not quite sure I'm following this. Is there a Law ref, guidance, clarification on the WR site to state this. I would say (without any other input), that the tackler was offside from the throw (as this creates the offside line?). That seems logical to me. But like I said, if there somewhere on WR that tells me otherwise then, fair play.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

a QTI doesn't create an offside line.
    Indeed generally speaking it acts as the opposite, being a pass it puts the oppo onside (assuming they weren't previously advancing when they shouldn't or caught by 10m law etc)

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

See, this I don't get. The ball's dead. There's no offside when the balls dead I get this. A QTI is just a quick method of taking a lineout. Therefore surely normal offside LO Laws should still apply. If the ball doesn't go dead then yes we're in open play and the BC can be tackled (subject to normal caveats behind kicker, 10m, passed the ball etc). At the restart QTI, there not for me, in an onside position. So they need to keep retiring until they are onside. For me this is once the BC passes them or they were behind the MoT (closer to their Dead Ball Line).

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

To a alrge degree this is unintended consequences at play.

I agree that the ball is dead. Play has finished. Offsides etc no longer exist.

In the bad old days when QTIs hardly ever happened and here quite strict wrt use (must be straight etc etc) they rarely happened, and good old fashioned lineouts occurred where everyone took their tim to set up two oppising lines of forwards and off we'd go. So theer was no advanatge to being offside in general play immediately before the ball went to wouch and became dead. You just stood and waited for the game to restart.

As the game has speeded up , and the QTI laws changed to permit more flexibility in theoir delivery and become in effect a pass from touch (nopt a bad thing in itself lest I be misunderstood), it has now created the scenario wherby being offside froim the previous play CAN have a retained adavantage that is far more likely to be available today. But the ofside laws havent kept up with that - if of course they even should.

What we have now is what was excellently termed here by some sage "zombie ball". The ball is dead - but play in effect isn't.

I confess I have no easy solution. BUt a definitive and clear inclusion of one way or another in the laws woiuld help everybody here I am sure whether we all perosnally agree with whatever that may be.

didds

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

the team taking the QTI have some significant advantage. They don't have to throw the ball straight & they don't have to wait for 2+2 so therefore bypass the lineout contest. The downside is that opponents can compete for the the throw. Seems fair & equitable to me.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Still not sure I get it. Is there a Law ref for this at all. Like I said, a QTI just seems like a lineout, taken quickly. Therefore other than the stated caveats regarding he throw etc. Offsides should still be applied - eg, you need to be at least on the right side of the MoT.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Still not sure I get it. Is there a Law ref for this at all. Like I said, a QTI just seems like a lineout, taken quickly. Therefore other than the stated caveats regarding he throw etc. Offsides should still be applied - eg, you need to be at least on the right side of the MoT.
    It's in the line out and quick throw section, a 'line out' is very specifically defined including the moment it's formed and all else (including offside lines) from there on, quick throw has it's own section and is a separate thing, no mention of offside lines, and only really details where you can thrown from and what happens if you take it back into the 22

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ok so slightly different. I get tackled on the attacking 5m. I lose the ball in the process. The new BC runs 50m gets tackled. Ruck forms, ball comes out and passed away. I'm still trundling back from being tackled (I'm fat, slow and unfit btw). As we're now in open play I'm not offside and can tackle? My instinct is no. But it's the same kind of situation as in the OP. The ruck has ended/QTI is taken - open play no offsides.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A ruck creates offside lines. We ensure that 'lazy runners' like you don't benefit from their laziness (never onside from the ruck is the normal call when you are penalised)

A QTI does not create offside lines, it's open play.

In open play if our opponents who have the ball you are not offside
    Last edited by crossref; 06-12-19 at 14:12.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    A QTI does not create offside lines, it's open play.
    Open play: The period after a kick-off, restart kick, free-kick, penalty or set piece and before the next phase, or the period between phases of play, excluding when the ball is dead.

The ball is dead for a QTI.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Thread Information