Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Offside by QTI

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post

In open play if our opponents who have the ball you are not offside
    Mostly true, but there are some exceptions such as the 10m law.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A QTI does not mean open play unless all the requirements have been met - not touched by someone else, taken from behind the LOT, thrown more than 5m infield, and thrown straight across the pitch or back towards the throwing team's goal line. Then it is open play, assuming there aren't any remaining offside players!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Mostly true, but there are some exceptions such as the 10m law.
    Yes. ...

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Open play: The period after a kick-off, restart kick, free-kick, penalty or set piece and before the next phase, or the period between phases of play, excluding when the ball is dead.

The ball is dead for a QTI.
    But it isn't really, is it. Its the same as a PK : one team is free to play it (in the prescribed way) . Its the famous zombie ball

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    But it isn't really, is it. Its the same as a PK : one team is free to play it (in the prescribed way) . Its the famous zombie ball

But in the PK quick tap, the ball is live. A player who is back 10m can come forward to meet the BC and can tackle as soon as he gets there. The retiring player can engage when he gets 10m from the PK mark. So surely the QTI is a quickly taken set piece and as such has it's own offside line ie the mark of touch.

Yes once the ball is dead there is no offside from the kick. But then we get an offside line from the resultant set play... the QTI. I suggest that a QTI is a restart set play when the ball goes dead. Not open play.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No

The PK and the QTI have similarities in that the ball is half dead. The whistle has gone but one team is free to play the ball immediately, while the other isn't . Its both live and dead (zombie ball)

However in other respects is different
    A PK does create an offside line, the oppo have to be 10m back, but a QTI doesn't create an offside line for either team

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

At Pk as soon as the ball is tapped a player who was back 10 can come forward though. So he/she can tackle the BC/intercept a pass (if he's/she's fast enough)/charge down a kick. But he/she needs to retire back 10m first. But that's not offside, thats not back 10.

I get that there's no conventional "must be back 10m" from the MoT at QTI, but at I'd blow up for offside if a retiring player tackled a BC in this occurrence. It would to me penalising good attacking pressure from the kicking team, to get up and tackle the catcher.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post

I get that there's no conventional "must be back 10m" from the MoT at QTI, but at I'd blow up for offside if a retiring player tackled a BC in this occurrence. It would to me penalising good attacking pressure from the kicking team, to get up and tackle the catcher.
    So think you would be wrong .. but perhaps spell out the scenario you have in mind ?

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

@CR - not sure I follow what scenario you're asking for.
    The scenario in the OP. There good attacking pressure. Deep in blue territory so the player whos made the tackle (inside red 22m) has just sprinted 40m min and made a great tackle to bundle the catcher into touch. We're rewarding poor/lazy defending by red by allowing the tackle from the player still retiring.

I get the the other usual stuff doesn't apply, gap, numbers matching, receiver and hooker in the 5m. But surely for parity offside would still apply. I don't see a Law/definition/clarification to say this is not the case. If someone can point me in the direction of this, then I'll accept it.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    @CR - not sure I follow what scenario you're asking for.
    The scenario in the OP..
    Blue kick deep from their own half, red 10 gathers the ball just inside his own 22 and gets bundled into touch by blue 6. As the teams are running back, blue 6 takes the QTI 2m back from the LOT to blue 12 - who immediately gets pounced on by a still-retreating red 5.
    i find that one hard to imagine :

1 how did blue 6 get there (50m sprint) so fast - was he actually behind the kicker ? or was he offside himself?

2 but putting that aside: no - Red 5 should not be penalised. The QTI does not create an offside line, you are allowed to take up position in front of a QTI (and 5m in) in order to defend it
    Last edited by crossref; 06-12-19 at 17:12.

Thread Information