Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Offside by QTI

Essentially if a player is in an offside position when the ball goes into touch (in front of a kick which bounces into touch for instance) he shouldn't benefit from being offside. So if he inhibits the QTI (but is outside the 5m channel) the referee could penalise him for being in an offside position prior to the ball going into touch.
    Red player kicks ball from 1/2 way into Blue 22 where a 'mark' is taken. A Red team mate who was in front of the kicker, but who was not offside under 10 m law, stands motionless until 'mark' is called, at which time he moves forward to stand 10 metres from the mark and ready for the quick tap. Has he acted legally or benefited from being offside?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Red player kicks ball from 1/2 way into Blue 22 where a 'mark' is taken. A Red team mate who was in front of the kicker, but who was not offside under 10 m law, stands motionless until 'mark' is called, at which time he moves forward to stand 10 metres from the mark and ready for the quick tap. Has he acted legally or benefited from being offside?
    Legally, with great understanding of the Laws (I would say)
    Perfect parallel with the QTI scenario

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Legally, with great understanding of the Laws (I would say)
    Perfect parallel with the QTI scenario

I disagree slightly. The perfect parallel would be that the kicking team player was behind the catcher (eg inbetween the catcher and his DBL). When the ball is passed, would said defender be onside and free to make a tackle, despite not being on the right-side of the offside line.

And further to say that a ruck and a scrum can be considered the same if a QTI and Lineout are basically the same thing thing. That's just nonsence. A scrum is a way of restarting play after a minor infringement a ruck is a phase of play still on going.

So going back to my question, as a rookie ref, there is nothing to tell me there are no offsides at a QTI?
    How on earth are we meant to know that in advance of it happening to us. Thus making us look incompetent. Unless there is something worded in the LotG, I'd treat it as the same as a lineout and apply an offside line, at the MoT. Anyone the wrong side of that is offside.

I just want something tangible to support this stance, that there are no offsides at a QTI. And "It doesn't say so in the LotG" to me doesn't really cut it when there's other things that aren't mentioned that is apparently applicable to other scenarios.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arab, where do think this offside line is?
    Would you apply it (them) to both teams (in a typical QTI most of the throwers team mates are in front of him)

(and don't forget a QTI can he taken anywhere between the goal line and Mark of touch )
    Last edited by crossref; 09-12-19 at 16:12.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arab, where do think this offside line is?
    Would you apply it (them) to both teams (in a typical QTI most of the throwers team mates are in front of him)

(and don't forget a QTI can he taken anywhere between the goal line and Mark of touch )
    Offside line - From where the ball is thrown in. I guess you mean the that throwers team mates are infront of the thrower in terms of being further forward (closer to the opps DBL), in which case if memory serves the non throwing team get a scrum for a forward pass. As long as the catcher is legal and the offside players aren't material in terms of interfering with legal players coming for a tackle then we're all good.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Offside line - From where the ball is thrown in. I guess you mean the that throwers team mates are infront of the thrower in terms of being further forward (closer to the opps DBL), in which case if memory serves the non throwing team get a scrum for a forward pass. As long as the catcher is legal and the offside players aren't material in terms of interfering with legal players coming for a tackle then we're all good.
    Yes , but that is offside in open play, which undoubtedly applies

Its different at a lineout. You can't hold a lineout with your own players scattered further up the pitch .

For a QTI no problem.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post

So going back to my question, as a rookie ref, there is nothing to tell me there are no offsides at a QTI?
    How on earth are we meant to know that in advance of it happening to us. Thus making us look incompetent. Unless there is something worded in the LotG, I'd treat it as the same as a lineout and apply an offside line, at the MoT. Anyone the wrong side of that is offside.

I just want something tangible to support this stance, that there are no offsides at a QTI.
    At the risk of pointing out the obvious again...the fact there is NO mention of offside lines in the QTI section on the LOTG (and QTI is not open play) is all the evidence you need.

If that doesn't convince you and the fact all referees on here keep telling you then it appears you can't be convinced.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well, the moment the QTI is taken, we are back in open play....

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Well, the moment the QTI is taken, we are back in open play....
    Yes. For being prezacrt
    Well the time from ball in touch to act of making the throw is not open play.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    Yes. For being prezacrt
    Well the time from ball in touch to act of making the throw is not open play.
    Yes agreed.

Thread Information