Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Offside by QTI

Ok so if he was offside then we'd have a PK to red not a QTI to blue. So for the scenario above we have an onside blue player sprinting 40m+, making a tackle.

But as you said, putting that aside. Where are the Law ref/guidline/clarifications/definitions, that tell me, as a new ref there specifically no offisides at a QTI. Perhaps it does say there are, but as its essentially a quickly taken line out, perhaps the Law writer just thought we'd apply the same criteria (except the written exceptions), from a normal LO to a QTI. Is there mention in the 2017 Laws? I'm looking for a reference that I can use to back this call up in the unlikely event that I get this in a match I'm reffing at. Please help! If I can't back it up in Law then I'm calling it as offside.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    i find that one hard to imagine :

1 how did blue 6 get there (50m sprint) so fast - was he actually behind the kicker ? or was he offside himself?

2 but putting that aside: no - Red 5 should not be penalised. The QTI does not create an offside line, you are allowed to take up position in front of a QTI (and 5m in) in order to defend it
    1 he was onside. Red was slow to return, as explained (older teams, late in the game)

2 you're not allowed to take up position in front of a QTI if you were offside, I believe.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Becasue it's not a quickly taken lineout (which does have offside lines, for both teams) it's a QTI !

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post

2 you're not allowed to take up position in front of a QTI if you were offside, I believe.
    If you were offside and continued to moving forward toward the ball, you should be penalised

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry, I'm really not getting this CR. There is no such thing as a Quickly taken lineout. You have a QTI or a lineout. A QTI is a lineout that's taken quickly before a lineout can form.

"Quick-throws and lineouts are methods of restarting the game with a throw after the ball or ball-carrier has gone into touch."

Whats a Quickly taken Lineout? Is that not just a Lineout?

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    If you were offside and continued to moving forward toward the ball, you should be penalised
    But you've just said there is no offside!!

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Still not sure I get it. Is there a Law ref for this at all. Like I said, a QTI just seems like a lineout, taken quickly. Therefore other than the stated caveats regarding he throw etc. Offsides should still be applied - eg, you need to be at least on the right side of the MoT.
    There is no offside at a QTI. Law reference: 18.3-7 (by omission)

Once a lineout forms various offside lines are formed. Law reference: 18.30-36

If you are offside from a kick that goes to touch you are liable for being offside if you are moving forward or in a 10-meter law situation, not retreating, before the ball goes into touch.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

But you've just said there is no offside!!
    I said that the QTI does nor CREATE AN OFFSIDE LINE

A common scenario is
    - blue kick to touch
    - blue 6 is in front of the kicker

if blue 6 continues to move forward, and then contests the QTI, he should be penalised - just as he would be in any open play.
    if blue 6 stops (as the Law requires) until the ball goes into touch or until he is played onside, he can then advance and defend the QTI

(in 10m situation standing still isn't enough, need to retire until put onside)

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ok so if he was offside then we'd have a PK to red not a QTI to blue. So for the scenario above we have an onside blue player sprinting 40m+, making a tackle.

But as you said, putting that aside. Where are the Law ref/guidline/clarifications/definitions, that tell me, as a new ref there specifically no offisides at a QTI. Perhaps it does say there are, but as its essentially a quickly taken line out, perhaps the Law writer just thought we'd apply the same criteria (except the written exceptions), from a normal LO to a QTI. Is there mention in the 2017 Laws? I'm looking for a reference that I can use to back this call up in the unlikely event that I get this in a match I'm reffing at. Please help! If I can't back it up in Law then I'm calling it as offside.
    Where is the law reference for there being offside at a QTI? The burden of proof is on you to find a reference for a law you want to enforce (that doesn't exist).
    Last edited by thepercy; 06-12-19 at 17:12.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry, I'm really not getting this CR. There is no such thing as a Quickly taken lineout. You have a QTI or a lineout. A QTI is a lineout that's taken quickly before a lineout can form.

"Quick-throws and lineouts are methods of restarting the game with a throw after the ball or ball-carrier has gone into touch."

Whats a Quickly taken Lineout? Is that not just a Lineout?
    Its not hard

There are lineouts (with offside lines and lots of other laws) some are more quickly executed than others
    There are QTIs (different things, with no offside lines and few other laws)

A QTI is not a line out. Neither is it a scrum. Its a QTI

Thread Information