Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Off Feet at a ruck (pile ups)

Hi Everyone,

Am coaching u11 and started to ref a few games. I am trying to coach out a lot of bad habits created by previous coaches and kids watching too much tv. Currently coaching the tackle, release, jackal and clean out.
    However the kids are all diving in to the ruck trying to grab the ball and mostly going off their feet so we end with a big pile up... good fun for them but a disaster to plan

What is the referee signal for going off feet as I want to penalize this type of play.

Also if you have any tips on this and how to prevent it I would appreciate it. I have done a lot of research but only had a week or two with the team coaching on this..

Thanks!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Off Feet at a ruck (pile ups)

AIUI refs signal is like a plane landing - arm/hand goes form (say) shoulder height to waist height in a diaginal motion.

as for stopping the kids form doing it... this is a coahcing question and this is a refs forum, but .. ;-)

I dont like to be proscriptive, and i dont really like set drills (CF open play and mini drills) but it seems that the first tyhing is to break the habit, or create a new habit.

so you COULD use a LOT of mini drill sessions of something like

* place a tackle shield on the floor with a ball beside it (CF tackled player), with a "try line" [ cones/actual pitch line etc ]
    * run three players at a time
    - 1st (A1) MUST step over the ball and the shield and hoild, in a strojng Tower of Power shape
    - 2nd (A2)must then bind to the 1st player in a strong ToP sshape and drive them both past the shield and staying on their feet
    - 3rd (A3) can pick the ball and score a try

* then increase the pressure on the drill of thses three doing exactly the same with a sole defender (D1)approaching the bag/ball at the same time as 1st attacker such that they must engage over/near as damn it to the bag/ball. Continue woith A2 and A3 as before. Thus promoting the challenge over the ball.

* further increase the pressure by adding two more defenders (D2 and D3) such that they emulate the 2d and 3rd actions as before.

Id also drop any coahcing whatsoever of jackling. IMO you need to get these guys understanding how to ruck FIRST. So in your mini training games etc make jackling not available. Anybody jackling is a PK. You'll know what is a jackal/seal and what is a ball pick up.

Ping me offline if you wnat to discuss further.

didds

NB: Is there a limitation on how many U11a may be ina ruck - Im no longer au fait with U11 regs

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

U11 regulations

8.e) A “ruck” is a phase a play where one or more players from each team, who are on
    their feet, in physical contact, close around the ball on the ground. Open play has
    ended. Players are rucking when they are in a ruck and using their feet to try to
    win or keep possession of the ball, without being guilty of foul play. No more
    than three players from either team (including the ball carrier and opponent)
    can be involved in the ruck.

So if you have a as described "the kids are all diving in to the ruck trying to grab the ball and mostly going off their feet so we end with a big pile up" just restart with a scrum. Alternately the ref should shout "no more" or tell them to "stay out" once the maximum number in a ruck is achieved.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Im sure LLP has the correct URLs but as a side note when i click on the links I just get put on the entry page for WR laws page. Ive noticed this before. I must be a "feature" of their website design.

ah - if you then click on the language button preffered it THEN seems to take you to the video LLP loinked to. Cool.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys,
    That's what I thought but didn't see anything specific in the App.

wrt to the drills this is what we are building up to, started last week with the tackle and present. Next is the cover (A1)
    Was funny re Jackal, while we were looking at a pile up, the Jackal (in fairness he didn't know what he was) just stepped in picked the ball and ran on while everyone else was in a mess.... hence I want to get some good form and understanding of the tackle/ruck into the team and penalize this jumping into a ruck/off feet/hands in the ruck effort

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

well, in THEORY if no-one is ever in contact OVER the ball then there is no ruck and no offside lines etc - and also no limit on players entering the area then! So a player could step in and just pick the ball up. Its reffed as a ruck at elite level as much as anything to keep some semblance of sensible game going on, but certainly at your U11 level you are spot on in trying to get the players to understand what is expected of them and to develop their technique and game appreciation.

didds
    Last edited by didds; 05-12-19 at 12:12.

Thread Information