Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Well,
    - most games the teams don't go back in
    - if they do go back in, I give them a time check when they leave the pitch, so they know how long to go
    - I don't normally go back in
    - I am not that bothered if they come out a minute late

I don't really see it as my job to chivvy (to give them time checks yes, but not to chivvy )

so far I have never encountered a team being deliberately late in order to annoy the oppo
    Good for you.

I find you've never needed to knock as a bit alien to my experience. I'm not knocking like some Middlesbrough bailiff but I suspect if the teams at the level I do (mostly) were left to their own devices I'd never get every game away on KO time (give or take). As mentioned above Merit League or Friendlies I'm happy to stroll to the pitch with everyone else and we get underway when we do, usually within 5mins of advertised KO time.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I get the impression that in some situations I am happy to wait a little when other refs would be choosing to chivvy.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I get the impression that in some situations I am happy to wait a little when other refs would be choosing to chivvy.
    I think when you have perhaps 100 people looking at their watches and a team stood on the pitch then the need to knock and do all the stuff outlined above may become more of an issue.

It all circles back to the OP (aside from the rights and wrongs about starting with a PK) - ultimately the KO time is advertised and it's bad manners to keep people waiting. Whether you construe it as Ungentlemanly conduct or Deliberate offending or Time wasting it is, when you get down to it, potentially annoying for oppos, crowd and you (as referee).

If it's a not an issue now I suspect it will become one if you don't adapt your pre-match routine as your level of game gets higher. IME as you get towards the mid levels in RFUland (8-7-6) I think we're into the foothills of "nothing happens by accident" territory and it's just a handy tool for your locker to keep people mindful of their obligations. Some DoRs and coaches at these levels are paid and they will seek to exploit either real or perceived weakness/inconsistencies in the referees application of the laws or general management of the day (not just the game).

Just saying

YMMV

It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, well I don't often have 100 people watching
    And I have never had a team winding the other one up.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    I think when you have perhaps 100 people looking at their watches and a team stood on the pitch then the need to knock and do all the stuff outlined above may become more of an issue.

It all circles back to the OP (aside from the rights and wrongs about starting with a PK) - ultimately the KO time is advertised and it's bad manners to keep people waiting. Whether you construe it as Ungentlemanly conduct or Deliberate offending or Time wasting it is, when you get down to it, potentially annoying for oppos, crowd and you (as referee).

If it's a not an issue now I suspect it will become one if you don't adapt your pre-match routine as your level of game gets higher. IME as you get towards the mid levels in RFUland (8-7-6) I think we're into the foothills of "nothing happens by accident" territory and it's just a handy tool for your locker to keep people mindful of their obligations. Some DoRs and coaches at these levels are paid and they will seek to exploit either real or perceived weakness/inconsistencies in the referees application of the laws or general management of the day (not just the game).

Just saying

YMMV

So very much this. In spades.

Getting the teams out on time is a small, early way of reinforcing your image of being in control. Not bossy, not curt - but also not someone they can push around.
    If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you... you must be a rugby referee!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity - and I'm not sure about the universe..." - Albert Einstein

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Where do the players and ref get changed then?
    At home or on the sideline.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    At home or on the sideline.
    I'm not sure that changing on the side line is appropriate. Especially with age grade stuff. Do your players not stay in the clubhouse for a few beers afterwards?

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure that changing on the side line is appropriate. Especially with age grade stuff. Do your players not stay in the clubhouse for a few beers afterwards?
    I don't think anyone is exposing themselves, usually as covered as if at a bike race or swim meet.

For adult matches there is usually beers and food set up at a local pub or a park pavilion.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What clubhouse?

Very few clubs have a clubhouse of their own. I came across two: one was a university team, and the other a barn on someone's farm with an oil drum fire and a keg of beer. No showers!

My own club had exclusive use on Saturdays of the basement at a local bar. Next to the police station! Many clubs had a similar arrangement - the bar would sell a lot of beer plus food (we just had a hotpot of chilli), and the muddy, sweaty ruggers would not upset the other clientele.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    What clubhouse?

Very few clubs have a clubhouse of their own. I came across two: one was a university team, and the other a barn on someone's farm with an oil drum fire and a keg of beer. No showers!

My own club had exclusive use on Saturdays of the basement at a local bar. Next to the police station! Many clubs had a similar arrangement - the bar would sell a lot of beer plus food (we just had a hotpot of chilli), and the muddy, sweaty ruggers would not upset the other clientele.
    A barn, barrel fire, and a keg are luxury accommodations.

Many players embrace, even relish in the "stink and drink"

Thread Information