Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Penalise teams late onto the field

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Penalise teams late onto the field

I’d like the hive minds opinion on when you would penalise a team for being late onto the field of play with a penalty.

one team was late today leading to a 1402 KO instead of 1400. Oppo coaches were adamant I should have given a penalty, voicing their opinions both before and after the game (I was somewhat cheesed off and made the mistake of talking to a coach straight after the game and let him know what he could with his opinions, but that’s another thread methinks).

so anyway, would you penalise this? Do you have a strict if you’re not on the field at the proper KO time it’s a penalty. 2 mins? 3 mins? 5 mins?

i’ve been referring 6 years and never penalised this and teamshave been late on occasion. Am I too lax?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

I have done so & would again but only after several requests to get started and if no valid reason. It would certainly be 5+ minutes after scheduled time.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3

I'd be interested to know the backstory a bit more. Were they in changing rooms, did you warn them etc etc...

I've had this happen twice, did two different things, and both Assessors hated my approach.

One was on exchange to Diss. I'd knocked the door, and I was out on the field with the away side in not great weather. Home side were three minutes late and I penalized them. It clearly a deliberate ploy.

Second time was in Philadelphia. No changing rooms, they were just a minute late trotting over from the nearby training field. Away Coach about to die of apoplexy. Assessor felt I should have been stronger.

There aren't very many changing rooms over here, so I've adapted my pre match to the Captains. "I'll shout when there's 10, 5 and 2. At two, everybody else off and starting fifteen ready to go."

I kick off on time every time now.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    I'd be interested to know the backstory a bit more. Were they in changing rooms, did you warn them etc etc...

I've had this happen twice, did two different things, and both Assessors hated my approach.

One was on exchange to Diss. I'd knocked the door, and I was out on the field with the away side in not great weather. Home side were three minutes late and I penalized them. It clearly a deliberate ploy.

Second time was in Philadelphia. No changing rooms, they were just a minute late trotting over from the nearby training field. Away Coach about to die of apoplexy. Assessor felt I should have been stronger.

There aren't very many changing rooms over here, so I've adapted my pre match to the Captains. "I'll shout when there's 10, 5 and 2. At two, everybody else off and starting fifteen ready to go."

I kick off on time every time now.
    they were in the changing rooms, but I hadn’t knocked. At this level some teams go into changing rooms, some don’t, and I usually do not so I’m not in a position to knock.

the weather was foul so the ‘early’ team were complaining the late team go an advantage by staying in the warm for longer. By that argument you’re implying you might penalise this but only if the weather is bad, which seems inconsistent to me.

As I said I’ve never penalised this, I think if a team had a either ignored a request to get a move on, or were more than 5 minutes late I’d take action but I’d be interested is more thoughts from my fellow whistle blowers.

On a separate note I always find it strange when a coach focuses so much on a single decision/non decision, when you are making 250-300 per game. They also rarely lack empathy, I understood his point about his team getting cold but said I didn’t think it was appropriate etp punish 2 minutes late and set a precedent for strict refereeing to the letter of each law. He had no concept of considering my side of the argument, just ranted about how I was wrong not to penalise (and o got pretty much the same rant, although with less aggressoin, from 2 other coaches. I still can’t figure out why this in particular got their goat. Personally I thought my scrum management was crap throughout which would have been something they had stronger grounds to ‘discuss’ with me).

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

in my neck of the woods the teams are required to provide TJs. If a coach had a whinge to me, I'd tell him to send his nominated TJ to give the opposition a knock.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

You simply cannot start with a PK , there is no offence committed and nothing in the Law Book to cover a PK

Write a quick report to the League organisers and let them deal with it.

And personally I wouldn't be scurrying off to the changing rooms to issue instructions that are going to be ignored , that doesn't make me look good ...

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

“If you are not out in one minute lads I’m off home”. Only had to use it once and it worked.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    “If you are not out in one minute lads I’m off home”. Only had to use it once and it worked.
    But that's a bluff , right? You wouldn't really go home ...

.. so, if it didn't work ....
    Last edited by crossref; 08-12-19 at 10:12.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    North Yorkshire
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    But that's a bluff , right? You wouldn't really go home ...

.. so, if it didn't work ....
    If i made that threat i would follow through

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

We are told t ostay in the changing rooms and walk on with / follow the teams. Running back to chase them up looks bad.

I don't see where yo uget the authority to give a PK. The game has not started. Other than the catch all Acts contrary to ......" But does that even apply before KO. I trhink I'd go with reporting them to the parent body.

On another note. Unless you've given them a call. You'd be on very dodgy ground getting"heavy".

I like Balones "I'm off in a minute" line as long as it is a promise rather than a threat.

Thread Information