Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 124

Thread: Penalise teams late onto the field

      
  1. #31

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,562
    Thanks (Received)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    1392

    Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    THe only time that can be wasted is playing time. If the game has not started neither has the clock! I accept in Oz when you are restricted for avaiable time for the game to be played, you have different concerns to most of us.
    If, during a game, you stop your watch because a player is wasting time and he still wastes time, he is subject to sanction.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  2. #32

    Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!
    SimonSmith's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    8,480
    Thanks (Received)
    61
    Likes (Received)
    798

    Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    All of our clubs are required to have a Referee Liaison Officer. In prctice many don't. A Parking spot should be provided. Why do clubs think it a good idea to put the ref's back up?
    Yup. If I'm not refereeing and helping the team I coach, I do the whole charm offensive with the referee, home or away. "Great to see you, looking forward to it. Anything we can do to help you?" and if I'm not there, I designate a charmer. It may not help in the grand scheme of things, but it costs nothing and you never know, that 50/50 call may just go your way.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

    Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

    Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

  3. #33

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,562
    Thanks (Received)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    1392

    Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Yup. If I'm not refereeing and helping the team I coach, I do the whole charm offensive with the referee, home or away. "Great to see you, looking forward to it. Anything we can do to help you?" and if I'm not there, I designate a charmer. It may not help in the grand scheme of things, but it costs nothing and you never know, that 50/50 call may just go your way.
    Indeed. And on that cold, wet Saturday when ref resources are short, maybe its your club that the refs are happy to make an effort to support.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  4. #34

    Referees in Australia
    TigerCraig's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Join Date
    19 May 08
    Posts
    1,398
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    210

    Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    THe only time that can be wasted is playing time. If the game has not started neither has the clock! I accept in Oz when you are restricted for avaiable time for the game to be played, you have different concerns to most of us.
    Yep, its only happened once to me - I walked to the centre (which I normally never do until both teams are out - in this case only Team A was) blew my whistle and made it clear that I was starting my watch. Team B trundled out, and both teams only got a 30 min first half (scheduled 35 min) and it went in my report. No idea of the outcome.

    I saw a video of a lower level Aussie Rules game once where 1 team was on the field, so the umpire blew his whistle, bounced the ball and the team on the park proceeded to score a goal, and get the ball back to the centre in time for a second bounce and goal before the second team got out there

  5. #35

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,139
    Thanks (Received)
    152
    Likes (Received)
    1854

    Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    .

    I saw a video of a lower level Aussie Rules game once where 1 team was on the field, so the umpire blew his whistle, bounced the ball and the team on the park proceeded to score a goal, and get the ball back to the centre in time for a second bounce and goal before the second team got out there
    I fear this idea - while attractive - would also backfire on the ref

  6. #36
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,695
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    400

    Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    If, during a game, you stop your watch because a player is wasting time and he still wastes time, he is subject to sanction.
    Different context. The game is in play. You have dealt with the the offence and the player is now ignoring you authority during the game. Deal with the first issue , the one you stopped the watch for, Player does not respond so escalate.

    Related example. Players fighting ("low leval" handbags) Blow the whistle. Players keep fighting. Escalate to a card.

  7. #37

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,562
    Thanks (Received)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    1392

    Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Different context. The game is in play. You have dealt with the the offence and the player is now ignoring you authority during the game. Deal with the first issue , the one you stopped the watch for, Player does not respond so escalate.

    Related example. Players fighting ("low leval" handbags) Blow the whistle. Players keep fighting. Escalate to a card.
    Well, I'm hearing of lot of what you can't do and why you can't do it. Why don't you tell the OP (and the rest of us) what YOU would do?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  8. #38

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    820
    Thanks (Received)
    40
    Likes (Received)
    221

    Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Well, I'm hearing of lot of what you can't do and why you can't do it. Why don't you tell the OP (and the rest of us) what YOU would do?
    I think I did.

  9. #39

    Referees in Australia
    Jarrod Burton's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jun 13
    Posts
    371
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

    I've penalised a team for being late on the field. At the PMB I told the captains that KO was 1430, they would get a 10, 5 and 2 minute warning. Black went into the sheds at around 5 minutes, then got a two minute warning, when I called the coach (who was in the sub area) who sent some one over and it still took around 5 minutes for them to come out, all while Red and I were waiting. Time on, PK Red for Poor Sportsmanship and time wasting. No issues from either coach nor my assessors and I'll do it again in the future if I need.

    Respect is important in the game and if you turn up late you are disrespecting the other team.

  10. #40

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,824
    Thanks (Received)
    72
    Likes (Received)
    971

    Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    THe only time that can be wasted is playing time. If the game has not started neither has the clock! I accept in Oz when you are restricted for avaiable time for the game to be played, you have different concerns to most of us.
    to some extent though, here in the UK in the middle of winter, its getting dark coming the end of the match. Due to injuries etc I've been in games that by the time fiull time has come around, the cars on the road adjacent have all been on full beam and the street lights fully on. A team taking twenty minutes to start the game is serriously jepardising the ability to complete a game in such scenarios.

    didds
    Last edited by didds; 09-12-19 at 10:12.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •