Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Penalise teams late onto the field

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

Warning at 10, knock at 5 and out on 2 please.

In reality it's my watch we go by,. so it's....

Warning at 12, knock at 7, out on 4.

Usually means we kick off dead on time. And I don't leave the changing rooms until both teams have.
    Last edited by Phil E; 16-12-19 at 16:12.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    HRURS
    Grade
    6 - Retired

During my 12 years refereeing league rugby I only encountered a team turning up late twice and they were the same team on each occasion!

The lower London leagues have many Old School Boys teams who do not train, work in the City and come from all corners to play.

The first occasion Old Z arrived 15 minutes before kick off which threw me initially but then like many contributors here I adapted my pre match warm up and cut to the chase. I said to Old Z captain I would knock on their door 2 minutes before kick off (What they did in between was up to them) and followed both teams out.

The second occasion league match was in “The Forest” a long way from London! 5 minutes before kick off Old Z had two players and home team coaches were going ballistic. 5 minutes after official ko we had 5 players and home coaches were chomping at the bit and wanted to start! I said no we can’t without a front row.

We eventually kick off 20 minutes late and I told home coaches to calm down and report it to league co-ordinator, which they did.

To my knowledge there is nothing I could penalise away team for at start. Result was Old Z won by one point but they were deducted several league points.

Hope this help

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR

Kind of related, I was doing a Second XV game between 2 reasonably elite private schools. One was trailing by about 5 points with time up late in the second half with an attacking line out throw from a PK about 15 mins out when all of a sudden there was a loud blast of a whistle as the referee for the First XV game came trotting onto the park with the 2 First XV teams and told me to get off (quite politely, but still ...).

Luckily unlike in seniors I wasn't expected to stick around and run touch for him

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

I'd "politely" tell him where to go!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Kind of related, I was doing a Second XV game between 2 reasonably elite private schools. One was trailing by about 5 points with time up late in the second half with an attacking line out throw from a PK about 15 mins out when all of a sudden there was a loud blast of a whistle as the referee for the First XV game came trotting onto the park with the 2 First XV teams and told me to get off (quite politely, but still ...).

Luckily unlike in seniors I wasn't expected to stick around and run touch for him
    presumably this was under the subbies' 1 pitch for multiple games with set KO times thing TC?

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

When I was very green I was in a school tournament once and came on to the pitch and found the capt and did the toss.
    then a more senior ref arrived and said the game had been reassigned to him, please can I leave !

We had a short and unseemly argument , then I figured that since the two of us must have now lost all credibility and dignity by now, he was welcome to the the game , and I left him to it ..

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    presumably this was under the subbies' 1 pitch for multiple games with set KO times thing TC?

didds
    It was CAS schools (basically the second tier of expensive private schools) but yes similar rules, and it was on the schools main pitch. As an old state school boy I really didnt give a toss about the priviledged brats
    Last edited by TigerCraig; 11-12-19 at 11:12.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    I'd "politely" tell him where to go!
    Not really an option. All games must start on time.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Not really an option. All games must start on time.
    Do you stop a game mid phase ? Or when the ball next goes dead

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

I got the impression they were wanting the pitch early.
    If yuo are playing to a set end time and are at or over time, then true it is their pitch.

But if it is still our time, I would tell him that as he has caused an interuption, I would be adding time to my game to make up and he could explain to his players why they were getting less playing time.

Thread Information