--
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Penalise teams late onto the field

Quote Originally Posted by ianh5979 View Post
    If i made that threat i would follow through
    I am not sure you would get the support of your society / union. It would be a brave step to actually pick up your whistle go home

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I’m interested in the comments about not being able to start with a penalty. I didn’t use this in my discussion with the coach but might have cut him off at the knee if there was no way of penalizing lateness.

To those that have given a penalty, under what law? (I’d consider a penalty but now don’t know whether I technically can).

And to those who say you can never penalize this, what do we do if a team is way 10 minutes late (and it’s not traffic related, let’s say it’s bad weather and they are trying to make the oppo cold)?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I have not ever had a team being maliciously late. But sometimes you do get teams who are not well organised becoming late and still huddling when the moment comes.

Generally I would do nothing. If the huddle persists an irritating amount of time a few impatient whistle blasts usually works.

NB I would not be standing in the middle waiting for them - I don't think that's a good look. I always stay at the sideline and come on to the pitch after the players.

If the team is actually absent -ie in the changing room - it's harder. I wouldn't run off after them. I like the idea of sending someone after them.

At the end of the day I don't think there is much you can do really.

Thanksfully it's not a common problem.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    But that's a bluff , right? You wouldn't really go home ...

.. so, if it didn't work ....
    If you knew me you would know it wasn't a bluff, I assure you. I don’t mess other people around so I don’t expect to be messed around myself. Quite straightforward.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure you would get the support of your society / union. It would be a brave step to actually pick up your whistle go home
    Depends on how supportive your society was. I would not want to be a member of a society that allowed its members to be messed around. Why brave? We referees are doing it voluntarily. In a voluntary situation you are or should be in control of the situation.
    Last edited by Balones; 08-12-19 at 17:12.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    If you knew me you would know it wasn't a bluff, I assure you. I don’t mess other people around so I don’t expect to be messed around myself. Quite straightforward.
    I believe you. But then I would say you are escalating too far too fast. Abandoning the gamenl becasue one team comes out late is disproportionate, I think

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    We are told t ostay in the changing rooms and walk on with / follow the teams. Running back to chase them up looks bad.

I don't see where yo uget the authority to give a PK. The game has not started. Other than the catch all Acts contrary to ......" But does that even apply before KO. I trhink I'd go with reporting them to the parent body.

On another note. Unless you've given them a call. You'd be on very dodgy ground getting"heavy".

I like Balones "I'm off in a minute" line as long as it is a promise rather than a threat.
    I thought that what is outlined above was the standard procedure. Whether it is as an individual ref or team of three. My procedure was more or less five minute warning, followed by two minutes or maybe one and then followed by “ok, out we go lads”. I had to use the last phrase twice with the team mentioned in my first post. I felt I was being ignored and basically not bring treated particularly appropriately from the moment I turned up. It was the home team so by this stage I was a bit p****d off anyway.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    I thought that what is outlined above was the standard procedure. Whether it is as an individual ref or team of three. My procedure was more or less five minute warning, followed by two minutes or maybe one and then followed by “ok, out we go lads”. I had to use the last phrase twice with the team mentioned in my first post. I felt I was being ignored and basically not bring treated particularly appropriately from the moment I turned up. It was the home team so by this stage I was a bit p****d off anyway.
    what is ‘appropriately treated’? I turn up, someone might show me where the changing room is, but usually I find it myself. I get changed and go get warmed up. I can’t say I’m inappropriately treated as there is pretty much no interaction.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I believe you. But then I would say you are escalating too far too fast. Abandoning the gamenl becasue one team comes out late is disproportionate, I think
    I wouldn’t be abandoning the game because it would never have started. They are very welcome to get another referee to start the game if they want to. It just wouldn’t be me because I’d be in my car and on my way home. It’s not an abandoned game , simply one that didn’t take place.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    what is ‘appropriately treated’? I turn up, someone might show me where the changing room is, but usually I find it myself. I get changed and go get warmed up. I can’t say I’m inappropriately treated as there is pretty much no interaction.
    Well for one thing I turned up to a full car park and parked in the only space that was vacant. The club president’s space. I was told, not very politely, to move my car and park on a main road. The changing room was filthy and had not been cleaned since the previous week. I was then messed about in relation to the prematch briefing - “we’ll let you know when we are ready”. I was getting the impression that I was simply an add on to the occasion rather than a rather crucial part of it. I am not a prima donna but I am courteous and polite and expect to be treated in the same way, especially if I am doing someone a favour on a voluntary basis.

Thread Information