Thread: Knocked out but played on

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Knocked out but played on

Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
    We are made aware of the guidelines and what to look out for, in my book its simple. If I believe that you might be concussed then you're out of the game. Id rather be the ref that lost you the game than the ref that lost you your life, a bit melodramatic perhaps but thats the way I look at it.

We had an interesting senario a few years back in a televised schools game. Player goes down and is being attended to by a doctor, ref stops play and goes over to check him out. He hears the doctor saying that they will give him a quick HIA but he should be fine. Ref says nope, if you believe that he needs a HIA then you suspect concussion therefore hes out of the game, theres no HIA in amateur rugby.

The doctor goes into meltdown, "im a doctor hes fine to play" full on argument with the ref . Ref stands his ground and the player is off, cue demands for replay on the basis that the ref "overruled" a medical decision of a doctor.

Irfu step in and 100% back the ref, if in doubt sit them out.

Well done to the referee and the IRFU!

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    I apologise.
    No need to apologise....thanks 👍

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post

We had an interesting senario a few years back in a televised schools game. Player goes down and is being attended to by a doctor, ref stops play and goes over to check him out. He hears the doctor saying that they will give him a quick HIA but he should be fine. Ref says nope, if you believe that he needs a HIA then you suspect concussion therefore hes out of the game, theres no HIA in amateur rugby.

The doctor goes into meltdown, "im a doctor hes fine to play" full on argument with the ref . Ref stands his ground and the player is off, cue demands for replay on the basis that the ref "overruled" a medical decision of a doctor.

Irfu step in and 100% back the ref, if in doubt sit them out.
    It seems the referee in this instance believed that the fact that the Medic was attempting to ask 'questions ' to establish if there were any signs or symptoms of concussion was enough to reach the conclusion that a concussion type head injury was 'suspected ' and therefore the only logical conclusion is the removal of the player.
    I agree with this approach and this reinforces my opinion that a referee should not be asking these questions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/support-for-referee-over-gonzaga-player-with-head-injury-1.2532997

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU

If the ref doesnt step in then the coach certainly wont, we're not medics by any means , the questions are there imo to get a sense of how the player is. Truth is, if Im asking questions theres a fair chance he wont be staying on the pitch anyway.
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Swiss Rugby Union
    Grade
    Level 3

I've asked similar questions in a couple of occasion to err more on the safe side, i.e. to make sure a slight knock to the head that at first sight didn't look a like a big deal wasn't more serious that it appeared.

The typical example is if I catch a player bleeding from a small cut on the eyebrow: I'll ask a couple of those questions to make sure they just need a band-aid and not being permanently removed and sent to medical attention for suspected concussion. If they give me slightest doubt they are not 100% on top of their mental game, off they go.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Spot on MadRef77!

Incident occurs that makes me think Hmm that "could" cause a concussion. Ask the questions and look more closely for the symptons. Depending on thist hey stays or goes NO HIA.

I don't care if it is the Surgeon General. No medic is overrulling me.

Player appears to be displaying "concussion" syptoms NO questions. OFF they go!

I don't care if it is the Surgeon General. No medic is overrulling me.

It's important I ask the questions for me to make my call. otherwise the medic / "magic sponge" guy can feed me any bull.

Thread Information