Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Knocked out but played on

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    On a similar line. What if I'm playing and a ref allows this in a match I'm playing in. Should I intervene or would the ref not just think I'm trying to have one of their (the oppositions) players subbed off.

I wouldn't want to come across as treading on my colleagues toes. I play in the same area my society is in.
    In general terms there is little worse than a player playing the "I'm a ref" card during game. But YES this is a little different.

Very difficult for you to get involved. In that situation you are a player not a referee. Player safety is paramount. But very difficult to "interfere".

I guess if you know the ref it would be a little easier to bring the subject up.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    or even a ref such as this not even knowing about "no HIA" etc

didds
    This is just one reason why attendence at society meetings is so important.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    This is just one reason why attendence at society meetings is so important.
    yes - but at least in England, its is common for youth matches and even lower level senior matches to not have a society ref but a "club ref", and very likely that person hasnt even done an ELRA but is using the laws etc based on what they expereince as a player themselves, what they see on TV, hear in the bar etc and similar non official sources.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

On a related topic, I had a medical student try to assess himself after a head injury. I told him that, on my pitch he was just a player and not a medical expert. He did not like it ( it was two teams of medical students). I said to his skipper that were his player to be suffering from a HI, his medical judgment would possibly be compromised. That apart from there being no HIA.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In general terms there is little worse than a player playing the "I'm a ref" card during game. But YES this is a little different.

Very difficult for you to get involved. In that situation you are a player not a referee. Player safety is paramount. But very difficult to "interfere".

I guess if you know the ref it would be a little easier to bring the subject up.
    This is indeed the thing. In these contexts I'm a player, not an allocated ref. While I'm pretty junior and I know of at least 3 in my soc that still play, they're all considerably more senior than myself, so I wouldn't mind these guys having a wee word with me in a game I', reffing in that they're playing. But I'm a rookie ref, I would feel that it's difficult for me to do the same thing with a more experienced ref.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    yes - but at least in England, its is common for youth matches and even lower level senior matches to not have a society ref but a "club ref", and very likely that person hasnt even done an ELRA but is using the laws etc based on what they expereince as a player themselves, what they see on TV, hear in the bar etc and similar non official sources.

didds
    As does our game BELOW youth. Youth andabove must be appointed here. All "Age Grade" refs here have to have a WRU L1 license. They are postively encouraged to attend society and look to progress but many do not.

I find your system of allowing refs with little or potentially very incorrect knowledge take control of games worrying. BUT the RFU must be happy.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This is indeed the thing. In these contexts I'm a player, not an allocated ref. While I'm pretty junior and I know of at least 3 in my soc that still play, they're all considerably more senior than myself, so I wouldn't mind these guys having a wee word with me in a game I', reffing in that they're playing. But I'm a rookie ref, I would feel that it's difficult for me to do the same thing with a more experienced ref.
    Off topic, BUT!

Remember when they are playing and you are reffing they are just a player trying to con-vince you that they were legal. Players cheat, that included refs who are playing!

I had to warn a good friend (REf and SH) that any more attempts to "abuse our friendship", he was going to "take a rest". He behaved after that.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

BUT the RFU must be happy.
    Or maybe more pertinently, their insurers...

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

An experienced ref would know to keep quiet and let the rookie ref the game without distraction.

(but a severe safety issue could merit intervention, it's true)

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

On the whole, safety is surely a genuine dreason to "suggest" as a player to the ref whatever the concern is. Anything else shoud be schtumm (or I at leastc ant think of anything else).

But I can also see it is a bit of a can of worms as "safety concerns" could come from non-refereeing players, coaches, blazers and even spectators etc. That's where it starts to get grey and difficult.

didds

Thread Information