Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Saracens vs Munster European Rugby Champions Cup

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post

In any case Black 2 kicks the ball into touch, at the medic’s feet and as he bends down to pick it up a heated discussion ensues.
    perhaps it's another example of medics interfering with play by touching the ball (thus preventing a QTI).

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In the other match it was the water carrier deliberately getting up off his seat to touch the ball in flight as a defender jumped to catch it.

Look at 2 minutes 47 seconds into the video clip and you can see for yourself it is most definitely not the medic who touches the ball in any way to prevent a quick throw in. Black 2 kicks the ball toward the medic, so no. No quick throw on, as Black 2 is alone. If you look carefully, the line of touch is two meters short of Black’s 22. The hooker is 10 meters further up field toward Munster’s goalline. So definitely not in a position to take a QTI. His nonchalant kick of the ball looks suspiciously like an attempt to buttonhole the opposition medic. This will all come out in the wash, given how frustrated Sarries were at that point in the game, I’d say it’s 50/50.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 15-12-19 at 21:12.

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The other thing that must surely be troubling Saracens is the poor attendance 8,500 (the majority of whom were Munster’s traveling support, yet again.) Cast your memory back to their semifinal against Munster earlier this year, only 4,000 Sarries fans showed up at The Ricoh. (The official attendance was 16,235 in that 33,000 all-seater stadium. So over 12,000 Red army supporters.) Munster had over 25,000 last week when Saracens lost in Limerick and even more than that for their home game against Racing Métro in Round two.

Leinster had 42,000 this weekend. English clubs pay well over the odds for their star players, but don’t appear to have the gate to justify such investment.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 15-12-19 at 21:12.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Red 7 was as naughty as anyone. I would have restarted with the lineout. Handbags (or as the commentator says "manbags") only.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

That’s Jack O'Donoghue.
    Captain Peter O’Mahony pulled up in the warm up.
    So Jack, who was initially named (20) on the bench was given a start at 7.

He spent a long time on the sidelines (9 months of that recovering from injury) so he was spoiling for a fight.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 16-12-19 at 07:12.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
    Too much whistle for me.

Ive no problem with him penalising black 10 as he did run in from a distance to get involved.

Basically he wanted a pen at that point because restarting the game with a scrum or a lineout immediately after a scuffle will only lead to more of the same.
    so kick the ball out form the PK and ... errr... take a lineout?

didds

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Have to admit I struggle with the concept of 'finding a penalty', must be too honest! Had a bit of a wrestle off the ball after a ruck the other week, ball was gone, no idea what started it, couldn't leave it alone, so I blew up, strong word and restarted with a scrum to the team in possession who were moving forward.

I was advised to find a penalty to avoid a restart with the players in such close proximity - and I get the logic - but I couldn't see who I could penalise without pissing off and losing credibility with one of the teams?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well there is a PK offence if there is a scuffle. If it is pretty near 50:50, give the PK to the side Least likely to score from it.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    RAFRURS
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The inference of the medic calling into question Jamie George's weight which subsequently led to the kerfuffle came from a BT Sport interview with Alex Sanderson, one of the Saracens coaching staff, shortly after the incident. At least that's my understanding from watching the programme live.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if context is the issue. If Jamie George had gone into the medic’s surgery and was told bluntly that his weight was a matter of concern for his health would he have reacted similarly? Perhaps the medic was speaking out of genuine professional concern? As things stand it’s probable that 99% of professional rugby players nowadays have a BMI above a healthy state based on the official charts.

Thread Information