Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pushed by player - my fault for being in field of play?

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pushed by player - my fault for being in field of play?

Having done ELRA about 10 years ago I always offer to be AR if one is needed. My team plays in merit league and I am aware that sometimes the impartiality of some ARs at this level is questionable.

At 70 min in a recent well mannered game two players became involved in a fight after a tackle about 10 metre from my line. Play had moved over to far side of the pitch and referee was unaware of the situation. I was concerned at the potential for the situation to become more serious as both players had their hands in each other faces and there were players from both sides running towards the altercation. I stepped into the field of play but no closer than 5 metres to them and asked them and the encroaching players to step away, several times. One of the opposition players then shoved me in the chest in front of the referee. The ref YR the two players on the ground but told me that he would not do anything about the push as I "should not have been on the pitch as I was not an accredited official".

In fairness to the player he did come over to me straight away to shake my hand and apolgise and again after the came. I had not asked the referee to sanction the player but thought he would have at least spoken to him. I do feel that the AR should have some degree of security. Would I also be liable (because I am not "official") to verbal or physical abuse if I had not come on to field of play but a player did not like my decision on touch?

I have been told once a Ref gives you a flag he is accepting you have a role and a duty of care to him, players and spectators.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pushed by player - my fault for being in field of play?

The ref is sort of right.

You are not actually an AR, you are a TJ
    (ARs would be appointed by the society, alongside the ref, as a team of three) .

So as a TJ you don't have any authority other than touch and posts, and the ref is correct that you shouldnt be on the pitch.

Or if you do go on the pitch to attempt to stop a fight your status is the same as any spectator, coach or anyone else that does the same

Having said that it's not, of course, acceptable for a player to push you (or anyone else) ..
    Last edited by crossref; 24-12-19 at 16:12.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Bottom line - you are bot an AR. You are a touch judge. The ref is correct ... whether you agree or not. He could even have taken the line that you overstepped your remit as TJ and could have "asked" you to relinquish the flag and step back with the spectators.

Now - that would have been draconian as long as it was clear you weren't joinig in but actually trying to be a voice of calm. But...

Caveat: based o0n what I understand is the case in Engl;and. You may of course for all i know be in a jurisdiction where ARs can stand without being appointed hby a lcoal society etc

didds

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Right, and wrong.

You aren't an AR unless appointed, so strictly, you have no role to play in stopping the foul play.
    However (at least over here) you are a Match Official and as such afforded the same protections as the referee and an AR.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by derbyram View Post

I have been told once a Ref gives you a flag he is accepting you have a role and a duty of care to him, players and spectators.
    True. Your role is TOUCH and kicks at goal. There ends your duty.

That said, I'd take a dim view of a player assauting any non player. The actions of both the player and the TJ would be reported.
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 24-12-19 at 18:12.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I would expect a TJ to be treat with the same respect as any other match official, even if not an ‘official’ official - and would look at any verbals or pushing in the same manner

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree. But that does not allow him to overstep his authority. Especially in an "explosive" situation. A club TJ getting involved in a "handbags situation" could be the "light the Blue touchpaper" moment,

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For the first time ever I agree with ALL the above!!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

red card for me
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Madrefs
    Grade
    Adviser
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Regardless of whether you’re a TJ or an AR, Law 6 defines you as a match official. You are entitled to the protection that that status affords. Lay a hand on a TJ and off you go. No question.

Thread Information