Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Pushed by player - my fault for being in field of play?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pushed by player - my fault for being in field of play?

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    No. It is recognition by the referee that matters.
    That certainly has some logic .. but in practice in my games I might give the flag to one player (a MO then) who then give it to another (not a MO) and then subsequently the coach might grab it (not a MO ) but then he catches my eye and says "I am taking over the flag! " "Thanks ! " (so now he is a MO)

Then the first player comes off injured and takes the flag back (possibly a MO?)

etc..

The reality is, there are different types of "MO" they are not all equal
    Last edited by crossref; 31-12-19 at 19:12.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For someone who is usually such a stickler for Law, your determination to avoid in this situation is...unusual.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I’m not sure it’s avoiding the situation, it’s facing the realities at certain levels of the game. A replacement with a flag is not the same as an AR and I think it’s a stretch to call them an MO with the protections that gives.

now if they are verbally abused or given a hard time by players, coaches or spectators I will step in, but if they come into a pitch during a fracas they are usually doing it as a replacement not an MO so don’t deserve any additional protection.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Pushed by player - my fault for being in field of play?

I agree. Here in the sticks running touch is a chore imposed on the teams’ substitutes. The flag is passed willy nilly from one to another and back again. None of the appointed referees confer with their TJs, even on tricky conversions, the man in the middle will be cautious of allegiances of the various TJs. So there is no one Law fits all. Even World Rugby acknowledges this to some respect, as TV match officials have their own written (but unpublished) objectives, which gloss over some Laws in the hope of providing spectacular flowing rugby for TV audiences. If telly land can give their own weighting to certain laws, than grassroots rugby can do likewise.

Shoving an AR out of the way in a televised European Champion’s Cup final can never be treated the same as a TJ getting shoved at a mini/midi/maxi fixture in the back of beyonds.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 02-01-20 at 08:01.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

At yesterday's game where I volunteered to TJ - club only 500m from home but I'm not a member - the Staffs society ref was very strong on chat from players. He warned them in his PMB to talk to him through captains only, then during the game he penalised one team for excessive chat and marched the other team back ten when they queried a decision. Good stuff.
    However, when a player disputed the line of touch I'd indicated and, when I dropped my flag to go to retrieve the ball from over the fence, misinterpreted this as me having a strop and continued to mouth off, the referee took no action. But I wasn't appointed so I expected none.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by timmad View Post
    At yesterday's game where I volunteered to TJ -
    I presume this meant talking to the referee. If so, he had effectively appointed you by accepting your offer. That doesn't give you any extra powers, but it does ratify your position as an official.

If the player was mouthing off at you, I would expect the referee to shut him up.

Quite a few of our referees brings their own flags to lend to the volunteer TJs. Naturally they keep track of where the flags get to in order to reclaim them at the end of the game. (Some referees don't because the flags have gone missing in the past.)
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

(Some referees don't because the flags have gone missing in the past.)
    3 of mine have gone missing when I've had non-appointed TJ's. And I wonder who wants a referee flag? Maybe to hang it in the trophy room to mark the prestigious occasion of marking the wrong spot, running the line with a beer in the other hand, pointing in the wrong direction at LO and (because of the league players) waving off missed conversions?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quite a few of our referees brings their own flags to lend to the volunteer TJs. Naturally they keep track of where the flags get to in order to reclaim them at the end of the game. (Some referees don't because the flags have gone missing in the past.)
    At my level all the refs bring flags.
    I can't keep track of them, they do get passed from person to person, but at the end of the game it's rarely difficult to locate them.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I took the (ref's) flag from an unenthusiastic sub just before kick-off: better a volunteer than a pressed man! The ref acknowledged me before the start and I did return his flag. Perhaps sadly, I used to travel to games with a flag in the boot of my car - suspiciously keen?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    3 of mine have gone missing when I've had non-appointed TJ's. And I wonder who wants a referee flag? Maybe to hang it in the trophy room to mark the prestigious occasion of marking the wrong spot, running the line with a beer in the other hand, pointing in the wrong direction at LO and (because of the league players) waving off missed conversions?
    I have never failed to locate my flags after a game.
    I have once forgotten to locate my flags after a game
    I have twice left my flags behind in the changing room

Thread Information