Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Receiver at a lineout

Quote Originally Posted by JSG8 View Post
    Easier to defend if there is no lift - if the opposing SH is paying attention,
    IF being the operative word....

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I think the consensus view is that both receivers are allowed to join the line out after the ball is thrown.

This is by convention, rather than explicitly laid out in the Laws
    Assuming this bit's correct...

Quote Originally Posted by GingerSeaMonster View Post
    Ive tried this scenario with my Under 16s team in training. As I understand the laws, SH or receiver must be 2m from the line out participants. He can't move until the ball leaves the hooker's hands. So he needs to be quick and get between the 2 lifters, go up, catch, then be brought down safely, lifters bind and form a maul, hooker comes and either acts as SH or binds on to the lifters and rips the ball off the original SH and continues the progression of the maul.

The few times we tried it in training they weren't very successful. I may try it with the player at receiver doing the job of lifter rather than jumper. I'm sure it's been done successfully at the higher levels.

From a refereeing perspective a few things to comply with - not moving before ball leaves hookers hands, ensuring he is min of 2m away, throw straight, no early lift.

Think we me might try and resurrect this one next train session
    Really...?

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    I have always found as a coach that introducing the receiver to do any lifting is fraught with too many dangers, especially in 7s. I can think of far more creative and less ‘dangerous’ (From a law and successful completion viewpoint) things to do with the receiver at a lineout and would want to spend my (quite often) limited time on those.
    All things considered a 20mph throw (assuming we're sticking with receiver stays put until ball is thrown) travels about 9 m/s so at the front you've got about 1/2 second to move in 2m and lift (or be lifted) and 1.6 seconds at the back to do like wise. I'd suggest most can't and possibly never will when they're older.

I'd suggest that it's exceptionally talented/strong 15 year olds who could do either of those and be compliant and/or safe.

Similarly faster throw gives you less time to do all the above.

I would stick to trying to develop technique, timing and accuracy with orthodox lineout tactics rather than being "cute" with ruses of questionable value - especially with youngsters. Just my view.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GingerSeaMonster View Post
    Ive tried this scenario with my Under 16s team in training. As I understand the laws, SH or receiver must be 2m from the line out participants. He can't move until the ball leaves the hooker's hands. So he needs to be quick and get between the 2 lifters, go up, catch, then be brought down safely, lifters bind and form a maul, hooker comes and either acts as SH or binds on to the lifters and rips the ball off the original SH and continues the progression of the maul.

The few times we tried it in training they weren't very successful. I may try it with the player at receiver doing the job of lifter rather than jumper. I'm sure it's been done successfully at the higher levels.

From a refereeing perspective a few things to comply with - not moving before ball leaves hookers hands, ensuring he is min of 2m away, throw straight, no early lift.

Think we me might try and resurrect this one next train session
    The scenario we coached at the same age group was at an attacking line out close to the opposition line, as an alternative to a catch and drive, call a 2 man line-out. Your rearmost player is very mobile, moves forward to the front player and then moves rapidly backwards just prior to the throw. The defender in the line out almost always tracks the attacker and the hooker throws to the widening gap in the middle where your receiver (back row/second row) moves forward, catches and goes over.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

LLP hits the nail on the head.

For the receiver to join line after the ball has left the hands of the player throwing in means that either the ball is thrown in so slooooowwwwwllllly that the opposition will have time to work out and get interception done, or your receiver has to have the speed Usain Bolt.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    LLP hits the nail on the head.

For the receiver to join line after the ball has left the hands of the player throwing in means that either the ball is thrown in so slooooowwwwwllllly that the opposition will have time to work out and get interception done, or your receiver has to have the speed Usain Bolt.
    Even he couldn't do it nowadays. He’s put on weight and not been training so much.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Even he couldn't do it nowadays. He’s put on weight and not been training so much.
    ... and hanging out with the Swedish female handball team...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...ball-team.html

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Had a presentation on LOs by an Elite ref at my soc on Monday. This was raised as a question. the receiver technically doesn't need to be still. As long as he/she's 2m min away from the LoT when the ball is thrown. So he/she can move up and down or start say 2.5m away and move as the ball is thrown. Having just checked the Laws I'm aware it doesn't say "min." It just says 2m. But I don't think I'd penalise for a slightly bigger gap.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

and as oft debated here, what about a lone player hovering between the line of "receiving" players and the 10m offside line?

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    and as oft debated here, what about a lone player hovering between the line of "receiving" players and the 10m offside line?

didds
    That should no longer be happening. Since the introduction of a specific mention of 2M instead of a ‘minimum’ i know refs have been asked to marshal the situation more stringently. I raised the matter because of a couple of national league teams taking advantage of the ‘min’ ambiguity to develop some creative wats of using this lingerer. I was told that when observing refs over the last couple if seasons I should be picking up match officials if they were allowing much more than the 2M, without being pedantic about it.

Rugby Club Member GingerSeaMonster's Avatar

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester and District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    The scenario we coached at the same age group was at an attacking line out close to the opposition line, as an alternative to a catch and drive, call a 2 man line-out. Your rearmost player is very mobile, moves forward to the front player and then moves rapidly backwards just prior to the throw. The defender in the line out almost always tracks the attacker and the hooker throws to the widening gap in the middle where your receiver (back row/second row) moves forward, catches and goes over.
    Tried the above method and the receiver stepping in to be rear lifter at training on Wednesday and both went really well, ran through them both several times and by the end both types were completely correct in law, no early lift, SH 2m from line of touch, throw straight. Got a cup match on Sunday with a Society ref so the proof will be in the pudding. Told the boys to use them both aprox 5 to 10 m from opposition try line. Probably get away with using them max of once each per match. Not often that 2 man line outs get called at this level/age

Thread Information