Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Penalty offence by team that didn't knock on while playing advantage for the KO

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Penalty offence by team that didn't knock on while playing advantage for the KO

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    the problem is that relatively innocuous offences such as 'obstruction' and 'throwing ball into touch' are included in law 9.
    Even more innocuous offences such as time wasting are include also.....which I suppose is exactly the point I am trying to make ( poorly obviously! )
    So when I am TJing /ARing and the Ref tells his team that he wants us to flag 'foul play' I'm pretty sure he/she wouldn't be impressed if I stuck a flag out and,when asked, reported time wasting! !

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Penalty offence by team that didn't knock on while playing advantage for the KO

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Even more innocuous offences such as time wasting are include also.....which I suppose is exactly the point I am trying to make ( poorly obviously! )
    So when I am TJing /ARing and the Ref tells his team that he wants us to flag 'foul play' I'm pretty sure he/she wouldn't be impressed if I stuck a flag out and,when asked, reported time wasting! !
    True although a time wasting incident would be unlikely during a knock-on advantage period.

However: Blue knock on 5 metres from own goal line, ref calls advantage, ruck forms, Red win ball, and Red SH intentionally knocks on (ie commits foul play) cos Red want the scrum.

Wotcha gonna do?

9.7 A player must not:
    Intentionally infringe any law of the game.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm gonna award Red the Scrum with a word to Red 9 that they might want to be careful about intentionally knocking on because next week they could have a pedantic ref who may penalise them !!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

True although a time wasting incident would be unlikely during a knock-on advantage period.

However: Blue knock on 5 metres from own goal line, ref calls advantage, ruck forms, Red win ball, and Red SH intentionally knocks on (ie commits foul play) cos Red want the scrum.

Wotcha gonna do?

9.7 A player must not:

well I sympathise but I guess this depends on whether any one ref will PK players in such circumstances - as debated here before.

didds

Soc/Assoc
    Association of Referees Connacht Branch
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Wotcha gonna do?

9.7 A player must not:
    This is a great question. I wonder if you'd be pinged for getting this 'wrong' at the top levels. I've never seen it done, and I'm nearly sure I've seen advantages end with something that wasn't too bad but technically under law 9.

Comes under game management for me, I'd be going with the advantage every time unless it's what most people think of as foul play.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For me the decision about whether to go back to the original offence is not just about whether the second offence is under law 9, but whether it is the sort of offence that might make you change the penalty, eg for retaliation or a punch/strike or whatever.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Wotcha gonna do?

9.7 A player must not:
    I tell 9 and the captain before kick off that if they don't want the advantage, just tell me and I'll blow.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    I tell 9 and the captain before kick off that if they don't want the advantage, just tell me and I'll blow.
    So you'd give a PK against Red?

But you're skirting the point (somewhat mischeiviously, I expect). The point is: do all the clauses in law 9 trump a knock-on advantage (as required by Law 7) or only those that we would consider dangerous play (as required by common practice & common sense)?
    Last edited by Dickie E; 13-01-20 at 23:01.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by seanaodh View Post
    ... Comes under game management for me, I'd be going with the advantage every time unless it's what most people think of as foul play.
    Makes sense. Foul Play should trump a technical infringement.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So you'd give a PK against Red?

But you're skirting the point (somewhat mischeiviously, I expect). The point is: do all the clauses in law 9 trump a knock-on advantage (as required by Law 7) or only those that we would consider dangerous play (as required by common practice & common sense)?
    And you, just as mischievously, are asking questions you already know the answer to
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information