Thread: advantage story

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default advantage story

good one from my game today

Red killing the ball in ruck, and I signal advantage to blue, who manage to free the ball and counter attack, game on ! they make some ground

Still playing advantage blue make it to the red 22, tackle, and a ruck forms

Red massively offside at the ruck, but I can see that if blue move right a try is on.. so I let it breathe..

blue team now divide into two camps - one camp is massively upset at the red offside and start busily appealling, but the blue 9 and two alert backs can see the space -- he moves it right and ... a try is scored ! happy days.

After the conversion I had a word with the blue appealers "I am playing adv to you, I can see a try is on and indeed you scored it! I could do without the appealing !"
    "Sorry Sir, you were right"

well chuffed.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: advantage story

could have blown time off after the grounding with a "Blue, do you want the try here or the penalty back there?"
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    could have blown time off after the grounding with a "Blue, do you want the try here or the penalty back there?"
    That's always worked for me.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    that's good .. but just to take it seriously for a second my mantra the last few seasons is 'no sarcasm on field' .. which I have found works best for me

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Perhaps a "new advantage", to show you have spotted it - but it sounds like you had it under control.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    good one from my game today

Red killing the ball in ruck, and I signal advantage to blue, who manage to free the ball and counter attack, game on ! they make some ground

Still playing advantage blue make it to the red 22, tackle, and a ruck forms

Red massively offside at the ruck, but I can see that if blue move right a try is on.. so I let it breathe..

blue team now divide into two camps - one camp is massively upset at the red offside and start busily appealling, but the blue 9 and two alert backs can see the space -- he moves it right and ... a try is scored ! happy days.

After the conversion I had a word with the blue appealers "I am playing adv to you, I can see a try is on and indeed you scored it! I could do without the appealing !"
    "Sorry Sir, you were right"

well chuffed.
    Did you communicate new advantage for the offside? I think you should/could make that clear?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I did, and I think clearly

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I did, and I think clearly
    In that case you did all that would be expected - so well done.

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Nice one crossref !
    Reading this just reminded me of a very long advantage I played last Saturday and I suspect I had a brain-fart.

Red attacking, Blue offisde at a ruck about 20 metres out right in front of the posts.. My hand goes out "Advantage offside !". Red move the ball nearer the line in a succession of pick and goes. This goes on for what appears ages. I remind the 9 "Still playing advantage for the offside". Red are still in possession but gainline is being gaines ever so slightly each phase. I am thinking of blowing and going back for the PK but I keep thinking Red would want to keep the ball here to see if they can score ( about 4 metres out ). No idea why but I warn Red "2 more phases and you will lose the advantage". They play 2 more phases so I say "advantage over". They end up getting a couple more phases and eventually knock-on and dont score.
    Now, I think I should have blown earlier and said "No advantage quick-enough ! Going back for the PK", but I just waited too long.
    I couldnt believe they didnt ask me to go back for the PK. They also probably believed (as I did ) they were about to score.

So, my question, is : What's the longest time/number of phases you play a PK advantage for ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Madrefs
    Grade
    Adviser

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    So, my question, is : What's the longest time/number of phases you play a PK advantage for ?
    It’s not about time or number of phases: it’s about gaining tactical or territorial advantage. The advice we’re asked to give is that, within the 22, a penalty advantage should either lead to a score or the award of the original penalty - no advantage over.

Thread Information