Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Can I Clarify The Offside Line.

I suspect I may have got this wrong, so would like to get it clarified.

19.30 Once play in the scrum begins, the scrum-half of the team not in possession:
    a) Takes up a position with both feet behind the ball and close to the scrum but not in the space between the flanker and the number eight or
    b) Permanently retires to a point on the offside line either at that team’s hindmost foot, or
    c) Permanently retires at least five metres behind the hindmost foot.

At a scrum I know that the ball is the offside line for the Scrum Half not in possession, but given that he isn't allowed in the pocket "between the Flanker and No 8" does that effectively mean that the Flanker's feet is the furthest he can go?
    Last edited by Taff; 5 Days Ago at 20:01.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can I Clarify The Offside Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post

19.30 Once play in the scrum begins, the scrum-half of the team not in possession:
    a) Takes up a position with both feet behind the ball and close to the scrum but not in the space between the flanker and the number eight or
    b) Permanently retires to a point on the offside line either at that team’s hindmost foot, or

At a scrum I know that the ball is the offside line for the Scrum Half not in possession, but given that he isn't allowed in the pocket "between the Flanker and No 8" does that effectively mean that the Flanker's feet is the furthest he can go?
    No, I don't think that is true. As long as both feet remain behind the ball, and they don't move laterally into the pocket, they are not offside.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes. The offside line for the 'defending'#9 is the rear foot of the flanker.

There was a clarification/edict issued a few years back before the rewrite of the Law Book that didn't miss out/add any Laws
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    Yes. The offside line for the 'defending'#9 is the rear foot of the flanker.

There was a clarification/edict issued a few years back before the rewrite of the Law Book that didn't miss out/add any Laws
    I don't think this is correct.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    No, I don't think that is true. As long as both feet remain behind the ball, and they don't move laterally into the pocket, they are not offside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    I don't think this is correct.
    That's what I thought. My understanding was that the ball was the offside line - till the scrum was over, but a far more senior Ref pulled me up on it after my game last Saturday and told me it was definitely the Flanker's hindmost foot.

My logic though is that if WR wanted the offside line to the Flanker's hindmost foot, they would have said just that.
    Last edited by Taff; 5 Days Ago at 23:01.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

That's what I thought. My understanding was that the ball was the offside line - till the scrum was over, but a far more senior Ref pulled me up on it after my game last Saturday and told me it was definitely the Flanker's hindmost foot.

My logic though is that if WR wanted the offside line to the Flanker's hindmost foot, they would have said just that.
    Your Senior ref advisor may be confused about the 9 getting into the 'pocket ' between the flanker and the body of the Scrum.
    The flankers foot is not the offside line.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

if the ball is at the 8s feet unless the flanker has exceptionally long legs the oppo 9 could stand at the flankers feet as long as he is "his side" of the ball.

if the flanker packs at all at an angle creating a gap between him and the 2nd row and #8, he cannot step into it.

didds

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Your Senior ref advisor may be confused about the 9 getting into the 'pocket ' between the flanker and the body of the Scrum. The flankers foot is not the offside line.
    I did politely query it at the time, but he explained that given that the opposing SH has to stay within a metre of the scrum, it was impossible to go past the Flankers feet and stay within 1 metre of the scrum.
    Last edited by Taff; 5 Days Ago at 23:01.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I did query it at the time, but he explained that given that the opposing SH has to stay within a metre of the scrum, it was impossible to go past the Flankers feet and stay within 1 metre of the scrum.
    He's barking.

that's clearly bollocks!

didds

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I did politely query it at the time, but he explained that given that the opposing SH has to stay within a metre of the scrum, it was impossible to go past the Flankers feet and stay within 1 metre of the scrum.
    Even if this were the case it is a different issue... the fact remains that the flankers feet /foot is not the offside line and it is inaccurate to state it as so.

As an aside isn't the flankers foot part of the scrum so in your 'Senior refs' scenario the 9 would only need to be within 1m of said foot to meet the criteria!

Thread Information