Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Place of Conversion kick

Quote Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
    The kicker makes their plant foot in a slippery muddy patch, plant foot doesn't plant. Could twist, could slip in any direction causing the kicker to go ass over elbows. See: Kurtley Beale's slip at the end of the first Lions test in 2013.
    Better go to uncontested kicks then just to be sure!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone who would seriously not allow this really has little empathy for the game, or the level most of us referee at. My wife has a motto of DBA, don’t be an a@#ehole. being a pedant and making the kicker take the conversion from the mud in exact line of the try would qualify as BA in my book.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    Anyone who would seriously not allow this really has little empathy for the game, or the level most of us referee at. My wife has a motto of DBA, don’t be an a@#ehole. being a pedant and making the kicker take the conversion from the mud in exact line of the try would qualify as BA in my book.

No-one has suggested we'd make him take it from the muddy patch. We've said that it's written in Law where the kicks can take place. The kicker can take the kick anywhere inline with where the try was scored. So he can move it forward or backward. With penalties they can be taken anywhere directly behind the mark, but not to the side or in front. So he's able to move them back to get a good footing too.

Likewise, if you can't plant your foot to take a kick safely, I'd be considering not playing the match at all.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

so if the entire 15m line is a muddy patch from try line to tryline and the try is scored on the 15m line... what then?

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ok in your scenario - try is scored on 5m line. From touch line to 15m line is a muddy bog. You'd allow the kicker to move the ball 10m in? If it all muddy then I'd be insisting the kick be taken correctly. If there's a safety issue then that's bit different. I'd be considering abandoning the match if the entire 15m (try line to try line) is "unsafe" to the point a kick couldn't be take from it.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    so if the entire 15m line is a muddy patch from try line to tryline and the try is scored on the 15m line... what then?

didds
    This was kind of what I had on Saturday .. the area from 5m to 7m was a very long strip of mud ... (Not the whole length of pitch though .. he could have moved about 10 or 15m back)
    Last edited by crossref; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:01.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

As Id written the 15m line I was thinking its more likey to be the 5m line area cos of the proximity of front juimping pods etc of course.

particularly for clubs with just one pitch and no specific trainiig area (and Id have to ssay a slavish following of what has always been done rather than a bit of thoght eg using the in goial as a training area for lineouts using cones where necessary!)

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Slavish following of what we've always done is why the soccer players destroy a beautiful ground that is considered one of the best in southern Tasmania. They even tried to blame the bare sections on the touch line on rugby - their linesmen refused to run any more than 1m off the LoT - "cause thats what our coaches like". Council sent the rugby club a letter blaming us even when the bare patches stop at the halfway line and rugby AR's use the whole length.

Thread Information