Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Carded in tournament play....?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Carded in tournament play....?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    I'm a little confused. If the player is banned immediately then the club 's "suspension" has no effect. Unles, or course the susspension is added at the end of the ban.
    I agree to a bit of confusion as a personal example, a player I carded appealed and then could not make the hearing date for a couple of weeks. By the time the hearing went ahead, he was given 4 week ban, but 3 weeks of that had been served under club suspension, so he only had a further week to serve. I was back at his club and checked his status and was surprised to hear that the 4 week ban was up just a week after it was decided, but the issue with the suspension was explained. Why he appealed, though, I don't know as the club had decided its position and if he had sent a letter to the panel in the first week he would have been back playing one week after than, ie with only a two week ban. However maybe the club were smart to suspend as it may not count as time served otherwise, but I am not sure on that point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    I understand that. However you can get a red for two yellows. and in such circumstances I would have misgivings about a player missing the rest of the tournament. A Straight red for foul (violent) play is very different to tw otechnical offences.

Yes the OP was about Uni play. However, the reference to U10s was just an example of how "unjust" a ban from the rest of a tournament for two YC offences may be unfair. Did you see the use of the word "especially"?

Let us use the example of a player getting a YC for an offside who later deliberately knocks on. Do you want him banned from the remainder of a tournament?

Something to ponder, for the organisers, I feel.
    I think you must get a red for a second yellow

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ianh5979 View Post
    2 yellow cards normally only carries a "sending off sufficient" sentence at a disciplinary hearing so would expect that verdict to be carried out at a tournament as well, so available for the next game but for a red card i would always expect no further participation.
    At 7s tournaments it is very usual that a RC means you sit the rest of the day out. That does not mean, though, that your team have to line up with only 6 players.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ianh5979 View Post
    2 yellow cards normally only carries a "sending off sufficient" sentence at a disciplinary hearing so would expect that verdict to be carried out at a tournament as well, so available for the next game but for a red card i would always expect no further participation.

I wouldn't expect tournament organisers to have impromptu disciplinary committee to determine SOS . I would expect a red means early shower.

I would expect referees to do their best to avoid two technical YC to the same person. ..

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post

I think you must get a red for a second yellow
    You miss my point I know a second yellow is a red. The point was you my get a 2Y = R or a straight R.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

, but 3 weeks of that had been served under club suspension,
    Sorry, but this bit

In Scotland a RC is not allowed to play until after the hearing, and it may be the following week. Time off if suspended by the club is considered in determining the return to play date.
    Suggests it is the SRU that says he can't play until the hearing so it is not a club suspension at all. It is a SRU susspension.

This, I have now checked, is one reason for the WRU allowing players to play until the hearing. Consider:

Player sent off

hearing is in two weeks.

1:
    He gets Let off = He has served a ban for no offence.

2:
    Player gets 1 week : He's served doubled his ban.

3:

Player gets 2 weeks He serves the allocated ban.

So the WRU say play on and then whatever the ban is what he serves AFTER the hearing.

Thread Information