Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Scrum to the team 'Going Forward'

      
  1. #31
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    981
    Thanks (Received)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    239

    Default Re: Scrum to the team 'Going Forward'

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I would say this is a better definition of attacking. An assumption you can only be attacking in the opposition half is just ridiculous.
    Agreed, and in my original scenario I would argue that the team going forward gets the scrum, failing that the team last in possession - which is probably more in line with expectations anyway, but the law says different ☹️

  2. #32
    Rugby Club Member Pedro's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Join Date
    03 May 12
    Posts
    236
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    19

    Default Re: Scrum to the team 'Going Forward'

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I would say this is a better definition of attacking. An assumption you can only be attacking in the opposition half is just ridiculous.
    But it’s not an assumption, it’s a law- sensible or not, there are plenty of laws we may not like or agree with, but we still have to follow them surely?

  3. #33
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    443

    Default Re: Scrum to the team 'Going Forward'

    Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Agreed, and in my original scenario I would argue that the team going forward gets the scrum, failing that the team last in possession - which is probably more in line with expectations anyway, but the law says different ☹️

    You defend your home (your half) and attack the opposition (their half).

  4. #34

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,364
    Thanks (Received)
    161
    Likes (Received)
    1904

    Default Re: Scrum to the team 'Going Forward'

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    You defend your home (your half) and attack the opposition (their half).
    Most of the time people use the word attacking to mean in possession and going forward..

  5. #35

    Referees in Scotland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    20 Dec 17
    Posts
    557
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    164

    Default Re: Scrum to the team 'Going Forward'

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    But it’s not an assumption, it’s a law- sensible or not, there are plenty of laws we may not like or agree with, but we still have to follow them surely?
    I’m not sure that’s true, there are lots of occasions we interpret laws and apply common sense or expected outcomes.

  6. #36
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Join Date
    11 Apr 18
    Posts
    358
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    91

    Default Re: Scrum to the team 'Going Forward'

    “Attacking” is a defined term, so I would expect any reference to the word in the laws to be used inline with definition. That is true in the scenario given in OP.

    Ball is awarded to team last going forward (attacking the the conventional sense of the work)

    ...and only if that is not clear to the team who’s half we are not in (“Attacking” in the defined sense of the laws)

  7. #37

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,364
    Thanks (Received)
    161
    Likes (Received)
    1904

    Default Re: Scrum to the team 'Going Forward'

    Quote Originally Posted by mcroker View Post
    “Attacking” is a defined term, so I would expect any reference to the word in the laws to be used inline with definition. That is true in the scenario given in OP.

    Ball is awarded to team last going forward (attacking the the conventional sense of the work)

    ...and only if that is not clear to the team who’s half we are not in (“Attacking” in the defined sense of the laws)
    Yes but world rugby, having defined the word, don't always use it accordingly. Even in the Laws

  8. #38

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks (Received)
    119
    Likes (Received)
    1415

    Default Re: Scrum to the team 'Going Forward'

    Interestingly, in rugby, YOUR goal line is the line you defend. But it is the opposition's goal to get over it.

    In Aussie Rules, Blue's goal is the one they kick towards. Which kinda makes sense.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  9. #39
    Rugby Club Member Pedro's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Join Date
    03 May 12
    Posts
    236
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    19

    Default Re: Scrum to the team 'Going Forward'

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I’m not sure that’s true, there are lots of occasions we interpret laws and apply common sense or expected outcomes.
    But only when it’s ambiguous....this isn’t (for me at least), it’s a clear definition in the law book.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •