Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Quick tap penalty

Blue player takes penalty quickly. Pink player (at a breakdown and inline with the mark) follows the ball carrier and ensures that the ball carrier travels 10 meters and then tackles the ball carrier.

Law 20.

.Even if the penalty or free-kick is taken quickly and the kicker’s team is playing the ball, opposing players must keep retreating the necessary distance. They may not take part in the game until they have done so.

.If it is taken so quickly that opponents have no opportunity to retreat, they will not be sanctioned for this. However, they may not take part in the game until they have retreated 10 metres from the mark or until a team-mate who was 10 metres from the mark has moved in front of them.

So what's the decision? The player that made the tackle was actually 'counting out loud' the 10 meters as the ball carrier was running.

I think it could be interpreted that the tackler has retreated 10 meters from the mark? "they may not take part in the game until they have retreated 10 metres from the mark".

Does it make a difference that the tackler tackled the ball carrier from behind?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Quick tap penalty

If he was 10m from the mark, play on
    Ciaran Trainor

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    If he was 10m from the mark, play on
    Do you mean if the tackle happened 10m from the original mark of the penalty?

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Does it make a difference that the tackler tackled the ball carrier from behind?[/QUOTE]

No...

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Retreating does not have to be running backwards. In this case they are retreating buy running forwards towards their own line. As long as they have retreated 10m, play on.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    Retreating does not have to be running backwards. In this case they are retreating buy running forwards towards their own line. As long as they have retreated 10m, play on.
    Did the act of retreating (ie alongside the BC) reduce the ball carrier's options? If yes, you are not retreating, but are remaining in the game by reducing the available space and ultimately the benefit of the PK. PK for me if you move in a way that reduces the options, and by the sound of the OP, probably a card for that player as it sounds cynical.

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    Did the act of retreating (ie alongside the BC) reduce the ball carrier's options? If yes, you are not retreating, but are remaining in the game by reducing the available space and ultimately the benefit of the PK. PK for me if you move in a way that reduces the options, and by the sound of the OP, probably a card for that player as it sounds cynical.

He didn't reduce the ball carriers options as the ball carrier had chosen to run off and isolate himself. Other players from his team were very slow on the uptake and there was no one in support of the ball carrier. The would be tackler didn't prevent the ball carrier from passing to a team mate for example.

I played on, wasn't picked up as a mistake by my assessor.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie851 View Post
    I played on,
    good decision
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie851 View Post

Does it make a difference that the tackler tackled the ball carrier from behind?

I should have said the reason I mentioned this was because after speaking to another ref he suggested that maybe the tackler should have 'got onside' before making a tackle.

My thought process was that once the ball carrier had run 10 meters, and because the tackler had retreated as soon as the ball was tapped, the would be tackler was now able to make a tackle.

Another way I looked at it was:

Blue take a quick tap in their own 22, ball carrier breaks the line and runs almost the whole length of the filed.

A Red player (who was originally in line with where the ball was tapped) has chased ball carrier back and eventually makes a try saving tackle.

I assume all refs would allow this as I have described it, therefore should it matter if the ball carrier has run 10 meters or 70 meters before the tackle has been made?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What worries me here is whether the defender is interfering with play over those first ten metres
    .. is he limiting the ball carriers ability to pass
    .. is he shepherding the ball carrier, limiting the angle of his run

If no to both then play on

Thread Information