Thread: Kicking the ball dead in-goal when the defenidng side has taken it back

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    London North
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kicking the ball dead in-goal when the defenidng side has taken it back

Ball taken back in-goal by the defending team and kicked dead. Where is the 5m scrum taken from? Where the ball was kicked or where it went over the dead-ball line. One for the rugby swats!

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kicking the ball dead in-goal when the defenidng side has taken it back

In line from where it went dead.
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kicking the ball dead in-goal when the defenidng side has taken it back

Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
    In line from where it went dead.
    Just to be clear, don't forget the mark is at least 5 metres infield from the touchline. Ie if he was standing practically on the Touch In Goal (TIG) line and wellied it over the TIG or the Dead Ball Line (DBL) the mark is 5 metres out from the goal line and 5 metres in from touch.

I have no doubt Shelfie knows that, but thought it best to clarify it just in case his answer confused you Mr Kavanagh.
    Last edited by Taff; 09-02-20 at 14:02.

Soc/Assoc
    London North
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Just to be clear, don't forget the mark is at least 5 metres infield from the touchline. Ie if he was standing practically on the Touch In Goal (TIG) line and wellied it over the TIG or the Dead Ball Line (DBL) the mark is 5 metres out from the goal line and 5 metres in from touch.

I have no doubt Shelfie knows that, but thought it best to clarify it just in case his answer confused you Mr Kavanagh.
    Thanks gents. I made the wrong decision, as had the 5m scrum in line with the kick!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AKavanagh614 View Post
    Thanks gents. I made the wrong decision, as had the 5m scrum in line with the kick!
    One for the historians. It used to be the case that the 5m scrum was set in line with where the ball crossed the goal line. Now it as per post #2
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry gents, maybe I'm missing something. Do we mean kicked touch in-goal or over the DBL? As if it's kicked into touch it's a LO? If were are talking about touch in-goal or over the DBL, then 5 out in line with where the ball was made dead (also 5m out from the touchline).

Soc/Assoc
    London North
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

As it transpired he managed to kick the ball out from just behind the posts to between the 2 flags to the side of the pitch behind the try line. Not a good clearance as he was aiming for the centre of the pitch!

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ah, so touch in goal. I'd say scrum 5m from the try line and 5m from the touch line. Anyone think other wise?

Rugby Club Member GingerSeaMonster's Avatar

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester and District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For my clarity, if it's touch in goal, the mark for the attacking team's scrum is 5m from touch, 5m from try line.

If it's kicked dead over the DBL it's 5m from try line in line with where the ball crossed the DBL, if this is within 5m of TIG line it's 5m and 5m?

This is what I would give

Soc/Assoc
    London North
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

All clear gents. Thanks.

Thread Information