Rugby Club Member GingerSeaMonster's Avatar

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester and District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Theoretical Stalemate

Whilst confirming my understanding of the 10m off side law, I think I may have stumbled across a theoretical situation where we could have a stalemate and some players (for the purpose of this situation lets say 4 forwards who have just been involved in a ruck) from the team without the ball can't do anything without being offside.

Red SH box kicks ahead from the aforementioned ruck, 4 of his team are in front of him and rightly don't advance or retire behind the SH. Red SH and red players behind the SH don't advance to put the other offside players onside.

Meanwhile, blue players do not attack or go forward they chuck the ball between them as they are maybe running the clock down or just being plain awkward (remember, this is theoretical).

No actions by blue can put red onside, only actions by the SH and existing onside players, who aren't advancing or retiring, can put the 4 players trapped in no mans land on side.

Do we have stalemate? I think if this was to happen, blow and PK to red as blue are wasting time, Law 7.4. Or, is it blow and PK to blue as red are wasting time?

Thoughts and answers on a fag packet

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Theoretical Stalemate

Play on

Sometimes something like this happens in 7s as one team passes the ball around waiting for a gap, while the other team maintain a rigid defensive line, waiting for an attack.

Neither side is wasting time. Wasting time is prolonging the time when the ball is dead.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GingerSeaMonster View Post
    I think if this was to happen, blow and PK to red as blue are wasting time, Law 7.4. Or, is it blow and PK to blue as red are wasting time?
    for the love of everything sacred, please do not do this!
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Put up a deckchair on the half way line, pull out your packed lunch and wait for something to happen.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Put up a deckchair on the half way line, pull out your packed lunch and wait for something to happen.
    I just love the idea of adding a deck chair to my match day kit. Would certainly be useful at half time. Maybe a sunshade and a beer cooler too.....

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Timewasting is when one team is preventing the other team from competing. That's not this case. They have the ball and are free to use it, play on.

The "trapped" players can always retreat, and under 10m law they are required to.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GingerSeaMonster View Post
    Whilst confirming my understanding of the 10m off side law, I think I may have stumbled across a theoretical situation where we could have a stalemate and some players (for the purpose of this situation lets say 4 forwards who have just been involved in a ruck) from the team without the ball can't do anything without being offside.

Red SH box kicks ahead from the aforementioned ruck, 4 of his team are in front of him and rightly don't advance or retire behind the SH. Red SH and red players behind the SH don't advance to put the other offside players onside.

Meanwhile, blue players do not attack or go forward they chuck the ball between them as they are maybe running the clock down or just being plain awkward (remember, this is theoretical).

No actions by blue can put red onside, only actions by the SH and existing onside players, who aren't advancing or retiring, can put the 4 players trapped in no mans land on side.

Do we have stalemate? I think if this was to happen, blow and PK to red as blue are wasting time, Law 7.4. Or, is it blow and PK to blue as red are wasting time?

Thoughts and answers on a fag packet
    The 4 RED Forwards are offside under the 10-meter law, and are required to retreat until put onside by a teammate. They don't, so you blow your whistle, and award a PK to BLUE.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    The 4 RED Forwards are offside under the 10-meter law, and are required to retreat until put onside by a teammate. They don't, so you blow your whistle, and award a PK to BLUE.
    Only if they are in front of a line 10m from where the ball will land. If over 10m, then they do not have to retire, but they cannot advance unless put onside.

GSM highly unlikely for a box kick not to be chased.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post

Indeed they have t oretire. If they do not ping them. Their fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Only if they are in front of a line 10m from where the ball will land. If over 10m, then they do not have to retire, but they cannot advance unless put onside.

GSM highly unlikely for a box kick not to be chased.
    The OP was about the 10m offside law. However, when anyone sees it happen either under the 10 m law or in general post a video here. I'll not hold my breath.

Thread Information