Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Front Row logic tree

I played in a match earlier this season. Team I was playing against had prop injured. He went off, they didn't have a replacement FR. They went down to 14 players and we went uncontested. If a team doesn't have FR replacement, the game goes ahead, then if 1,2 or 3 have to go off they go down to 14 players, even if there's non-FR replacements. I believe a match report is then sent to the Comp Org. They then deal with any repeat offenders.

Thinks it's a good way of dealing with it.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    I think, technically, if you turn up with no FR replacements you lose the game before you start
    I think that is unlikely, but there may be competition regs that effectively do this. AIU under law 3, if you don't have FR replacements you don't get any replacements at all, but there is nothing in law to say that not having FR replacements means that you can't play a whole game with your 15!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

PDF does not cover blood replacements, which actually would be one reason why you might go back to contested. So second requirement for a prop (blood replacement) and no prop available, AIU your replacement hooker (if on the bench) would come on and you would be uncontested. Once stitched up the prop can come back on, one of the hookers go off, and yo are back to contested scrums. I think you could also bring on another player if you had no FR available.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    PDF does not cover blood replacements,
    There is no blood replacement with interchanges.

This is from the Staffordshire Leagues regulations:

8. Uncontested Scrums:
    a. Before a game commences, if there is a shortage of front row players, the game starts with uncontested scrums. Should a team unable to field a front row win the match they will receive 2 POINTS MAXIMUM. Should the team with a full front row win they will be awarded four points. The losing side will receive ONE point.
    b. If due to injury a game goes into uncontested scrums after the start, normal rules apply, winners take FOUR points, losers take ONE point.
    c. A draw in a game with uncontested scrums from the start: TWO points for the side starting with a full front row, ONE point for the side unable to provide a full starting front row.
    d. All games involved in uncontested scrums MUST be reported to the league/merit table secretary along with the result.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think that is unlikely, but there may be competition regs that effectively do this. AIU under law 3, if you don't have FR replacements you don't get any replacements at all, but there is nothing in law to say that not having FR replacements means that you can't play a whole game with your 15!
    Which happens regularly, the lose before you start *may* have been a cup regulation, can't remember, oddly enough no one owns up to it, which kinda defeats the safety aspect of it all :-I(

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    in experience then... do you guys find that teams that cant start with a FR replacement just cry off? Or do their oppo cry off as they now have "the win" and need not risk injury in what woud be a friendly in effect?

Or do you find that teams nominate a FR replacement but if they are ever called on they develop an injury so they cant now play and have to be subbed off for a non FR bencher (or is that what man off is all about - he elaves and its 14 man). in effect the FR noinated replcement cant play FR but this way they avoid the "loss" and in fact are gambling they wont get called upon?

didds

didds
    In my area, most teams gamble that a FR replacement won't be necessary.
    Everyone wants a competitive scrum and with some empathy from ref and opposition we can usually get a game for at least 60 mins so the regs guys don't have to be involved ;-)
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    in experience then... do you guys find that teams that cant start with a FR replacement just cry off? Or do their oppo cry off as they now have "the win" and need not risk injury in what woud be a friendly in effect?

Or do you find that teams nominate a FR replacement but if they are ever called on they develop an injury so they cant now play and have to be subbed off for a non FR bencher (or is that what man off is all about - he elaves and its 14 man). in effect the FR noinated replcement cant play FR but this way they avoid the "loss" and in fact are gambling they wont get called upon?

didds

didds
    You are thinking like a coach

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

PDF does not cover blood replacements, which actually would be one reason why you might go back to contested. So second requirement for a prop (blood replacement) and no prop available, AIU your replacement hooker (if on the bench) would come on and you would be uncontested. Once stitched up the prop can come back on, one of the hookers go off, and yo are back to contested scrums. I think you could also bring on another player if you had no FR available.
    I think this is covered by the flow chart , sort of, as it's an example of an injury that the player can legitimately recover from and rejoin the pitch .

So you would be at 14 players, uncontested, until the bleeding stopped, and then you resume with 15 and contested again .

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    You are thinking like a coach
    well, maybe :-) Not that I'd EVER condone such a situation, though also i suppose when I was coaching seniors I was still registered as a player and in such situations was down as a the FR replacement on the bench (and on occassion played as such) ... but it strikes me as an unfortunate by product of such regulations...

the option for team X to lose before they even leave home leaves them in effect having a choice of

* playing a friendly
    * pretending to have a FR replacement with an inmediate injury scenario
    * not bothering (eg avoding travel, or possible inuries).

The FR replacement could of course be another starter eg flanker. The danger being they get injured before the FR replacement is called for!

didds
    Last edited by didds; 1 Week Ago at 11:02.

Thread Information