Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Front Row logic tree

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFG View Post
    One of the new parts I notice, is the "Head Injury" (recognise and remove) uncontested play with 15. Is this if the team medic/physio takes a player off or if the ref orders a player off, or both?
    I would say both.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In the community game, wherever man off applies , I would expect that all front row players leaving the pitch for injury will be recorded as a suspected head injury, in order to maintain 15 players on the pitch. Why wouldn't you?

This whole system , with all the exceptions that may or may not apply, is far too complicated. Man off shouldn't be used in the community game anyway, where it's silly to have players standing on the sideline who want to play rugby, but only 14 of them allowed on the pitch

Let them play...
    Last edited by crossref; 21-02-20 at 11:02.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    In the community game, wherever man off applies , I would expect that all front row players leaving the pitch for injury will be recorded as a suspected head injury, in order to maintain 15 players on the pitch. Why wouldn't you?

This whole system , with all the exceptions that may or may not apply, is far too complicated. Man off shouldn't be used in the community game anyway, where it's silly to have players standing on the sideline who want to play rugby, but only 14 of them allowed on the pitch

Let them play...
    @Crossref, this may shock you. I absolutely, 100%, wholeheartedly agree with you. Absolutely love this comment.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Because you are getting absolutely stuffed in the scrums on a wet shitty day, and are quite happy to go a man down if you can have uncontested scrums?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Because you are getting absolutely stuffed in the scrums on a wet shitty day, and are quite happy to go a man down if you can have uncontested scrums?
    Phil , you are missing the point. If you go off for a *head injury* then you don't go man off, you stay at 15 uncontested
    (Refer to flow chart)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

That's a bit hard to sell when he's holding his leg/arm/back?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    That's a bit hard to sell when he's holding his leg/arm/back?

Well, if someone tells me there is a suspected head injury I am going to take that at face value.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Let them play...
    While notionally i agree - didnt the man off rules pretty much eminate from the community level too particularly to prevent a side feigning a FR injury because they are getting pumped in the scrum yet they get to go uncontested AND keep 15 (ie they will win all their scrums).

The reality is under the new replacment rules that allows a substituted FR player to come back on to maintain contested scrums will mean the man off rule should hardly ever need to apply (if you bring at least a couple spare FR to the game and they dont all get injured!)
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    While notionally i agree - didnt the man off rules pretty much eminate from the community level too particularly to prevent a side feigning a FR injury because they are getting pumped in the scrum yet they get to go uncontested AND keep 15 (ie they will win all their scrums).

The reality is under the new replacment rules that allows a substituted FR player to come back on to maintain contested scrums will mean the man off rule should hardly ever need to apply (if you bring at least a couple spare FR to the game and they dont all get injured!)
    By all means have a penalty for going uncontested. One league I ref in its 10 points.

But not man off. It's a community game, the aim is to have as many people playing as possible.

And personally I think it's the pro game who feign injury for tactical reasons. In the games I ref if any captain asked a prop to feign injury and leave the pitch so that scrums could be uncontested, he would be told where to put that idea. Players want to play , even if they are getting pumped
    Last edited by crossref; 22-02-20 at 07:02.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

By all means have a penalty for going uncontested. One league I ref in its 10 points.

But not man off. It's a community game, the aim is to have as many people playing as possible.

And personally I think it's the pro game who feign injury for tactical reasons. In the games I ref if any captain asked a prop to feign injury and leave the pitch so that scrums could be uncontested, he would be told where to put that idea. Players want to play , even if they are getting pumped
    Again...I partially agree.

In these parts it was actually the players/teams asking for a man off rule if a team couldnt/wouldn't contest scrums. Im just saying dont lay the entire blame for the law at the foot of the "suites behind desks".
    I think youre a little niave to think all community level teams just want to play....they want to win their cup too. Not all community teams play for shIts and giggles.
    Im not sayings it's right just pointing out the reality.
    Last edited by menace; 22-02-20 at 08:02.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information