Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Clearout at the tackle

Hi

Can anyone please direct me to the law tht allows clearout at the tackle?

You see players flying into the tackle area where a ruck has not been formed in an attempt to remove a player.

Fistly is this legal and if so what law governs what can and cannot be done by the defending player?

Thanks

Huw

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Clearout at the tackle

If you're thinking of top-flight rugby, what the laws say is not a good guide to what's allowed to happen.

There's no law allowing a clear out at the tackle, because the laws forbid or prescribe things. There's no law forbidding a clear out. There are laws against playing off feet, dangerous play, shoulder charging, diving over the ball... but the game is based on contest, so there's nothing stopping a player challenging at the breakdown.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Law 9 is what you are after, I think

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

At a tackle any player on his feet can go for the ball. Alternatively a player may stand over the ball to guard it.

Any player who gains possession of the ball at a tackle, may in turn be tackled (Law 14.9.c)

Alternatively if a player from the opposition makes contact with the player gathering or guarding the ball then a ruck is formed at the instant they make contact, on their feet, over the ball.

So what you are describing could be a tackle or a ruck forming?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Willehj View Post
    Hi

Can anyone please direct me to the law tht allows clearout at the tackle?

You see players flying into the tackle area where a ruck has not been formed in an attempt to remove a player.

Fistly is this legal and if so what law governs what can and cannot be done by the defending player?

Thanks

Huw
    Are you referring to cases such what Red 7 does in this link ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDs6...youtu.be&t=105

Though this tackle event was discussed wrt Dan Bigger, it is an example of a player going off their feet at a tackle to remove an opponent in this the tackler on the floor.

I consider this a blight on top flight rugby :-) every team does it and seems to get away with it, except occasionally and when a 2nd team mate joins in. Because then it magically become sealing off.

/Rant
    :-)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Swiss Rugby Union
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No issue with the clearing in the videoclip: as long as you go to the ground as a result of rucking against an opponent, I am fine with it. I don't see any sealing off there: blue had their change to go for the ball and got cleared out. A different beast is when supporting players dive straight into the tackle before any opponent had the chance to engage at all: that prevents any competition for the ball and must be penalised.

On a final not, I have many more issues in the videoclip with Red 10 coming blatantly from the side and allowing an insanely fast recycling that leads to a try.

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MadRef77 View Post
    No issue with the clearing in the videoclip: as long as you go to the ground as a result of rucking against an opponent, I am fine with it. I don't see any sealing off there: blue had their change to go for the ball and got cleared out. A different beast is when supporting players dive straight into the tackle before any opponent had the chance to engage at all: that prevents any competition for the ball and must be penalised.

On a final not, I have many more issues in the videoclip with Red 10 coming blatantly from the side and allowing an insanely fast recycling that leads to a try.
    Red 10 discussion here

re that clearout...

The blue player (tackler) is making some attempt to comply with the law (moving away) but is still on the ground when "cleared-out". Thus there is no ruck formed from which they have gone to ground for you to be "fine with it". By allowing the action the ref has now also seemingly allowed a blue offside line back where red 7 has pushed blue 5: blue 9 clearly feels constrained by it and not able to compete for the ball.

Can I presume in 2017 you might have penalised under then Law 15 Tackle:

15.7 (c) No player may fall on or over the players lying on the ground after a tackle with the ball
    between or near to them.
    Sanction: Penalty kick

Sadly, no such clearly worded law remains in the simplified new Laws, maybe WR don't care about it, though we still have 14.8.a & b (and 13.4) for a principle of staying on your feet when others and the ball are on the ground.

Thread Information