Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

1. France slap-down a Wales pass near the French try line - scrum only. Did the ref bottle the call?
    2. Wales scrum advancing rapidly over the French 5m line, wheels and splinters and France get penalised and yellow carded - but no PT?!? Did the ref bottle the call?

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

I thought 1 was marginal, the arm was wrapping in a fluid movement but did block the pass. Could have gone either way. 2 wasn't anywhere near a PT for me.

I was surprised the Bigger try stood - lost on the way down is usually not given, no?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

1. No, I donít think so. Those are always tough calls, but you would need to see clear and obvious intent of a knock-on to go for a PT/yellow. Slow motion always makes things look worse, but for me the decider was that the French playerís eyes never left the player he was aiming to tackle. Itís just chance that his hand got the ball.

2. Yes, for me this was a bottle. The French scrum had already conceded one penalty; on the second the Welsh pack was clearly moving toward the goal line when the French stood up. For me, that meets the description of preventing a ďprobable tryĒ.

More generally, I thought the ref had a technically good game in that none of this decisions were inaccurate, but I felt he lacked any real grip on the gameís temper. The flare-up at the end didnít really come as a surprise given how much professional fouling by the French he had let go - the entire sequence before half time, Ntamack refusing to let go of the ball in touch, the #12 deliberately blocking Biggarís quick kick from the mark, etc.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

1 No
    2 No

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

1. Yes for me, I think that was a deliberate slap at the ball and not totally incidental to the tackle. I was surprised it wasnít given as a PK and if itís a PK, itís also a PT and YC.

2. No - I donít see the probably try.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The OP comments are somewhat leading. Others and I arenít taking the bait; no and no to the questions asked. Disappointed by Walesí response at the final whistle and some of the post-game comments

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

1. Although it wasn't clear in real time, the replay shown after the match shows a clear slap at the ball with a single hand as the ball is being passed - so definite PK/PT/YC. (It's on the BBC iPlayer at 2:58:10.) So either it's a TMO fail, or it's a complete bottle on this one.

2. With the ball at the No 8's feet and the scrum advancing, and the only way the defending team can stop the advance is via a scrum penalty (for the 3rd time in a row) surely there is a strong probability of the No 8 scoring the try? Otherwise, why are the defending team continually offending to stop the advance?!? I'm sure I've seen these given in similar circumstances... But given the bottle on the other one (and general laxity around other professional fouls throughout the game as Pablo rightly says) it didn't surprise me that this wasn't given either.

@Rich_NL Biggar clearly regathered before grounding the ball, and before it hit the ground, as was correctly seen by the TMO & ref - so not sure what the gripe could possibly be about that one?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    The OP comments are somewhat leading. Others and I aren’t taking the bait; no and no to the questions asked. Disappointed by Wales’ response at the final whistle and some of the post-game comments
    Well, did he or did he not bottle the call? It's a fair question. Sounds like you are just closing ranks.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post

@Rich_NL Biggar clearly regathered before grounding the ball, and before it hit the ground, as was correctly seen by the TMO & ref - so not sure what the gripe could possibly be about that one?
    Clearly. ..really?
    .....before it hit the ground.. . .you need to reread the relevant law!

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No. The arm was sweeping round in a tackle motion - which he completed - and his eyes were on the player, not the ball.
    No.

The fact you use the word "bottle" shows that you have an agenda. An agenda free question would have asked what we thought of his decision making process, which would have been far more interesting. So please peddle that stuff somewhere else.

Carley said that the AR on-field call was that it wasn't deliberate, and that there was nothing clearly and obviously wrong with that decision.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information