Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 87

Thread: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

      
  1. #21

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,675
    Thanks (Received)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    1440

    Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

    Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    Well if I need to re-read the relevant law so does the TMO - because that's exactly what he said!! "Clearly regathered before touching down". Word. For. Word.
    Is this the try in the 75th minute? TMO says "he never loses possession clearly".

    Interesting one. I think Red #10 loses possession but ball is held into his chest by Blue #15. On field decision try & TMO didn't have enough to clearly & obviously overturn that
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  2. #22
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    OXON
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    01 Oct 17
    Posts
    30
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

    For full disclosure, I am French

    I agree with Dickie, the law states "or another player " for me the ball touches blue arm when it is not in control by red so knock one.

    I dont think it was a deliberate knock on.

    Not sure about th penalty try.

    2 others comments :
    I think Ref need to start looking at player "sliding" after a try is scored. Usually against the scorer, this week against the defender who was injured by a knee.
    Comments after the game were poor, I like pivac stating France was going at an angle after the BBC showing that it was the Welsh

  3. #23
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks (Received)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    451

    Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

    Just watched the scrum on 68 minutes. That is not a Penalty try. "PROBABLY"? Not a chance.

  4. #24
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks (Received)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    451

    Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

    The Biggar try was worth a look. It's not C & O either way. I SUSPECT he lost it onto the French man. But I think in the circumstances you stay with the onfield call.

  5. #25

    Referees in Holland


    Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2
    Join Date
    15 Oct 11
    Posts
    959
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    60

    Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

    For the deliberate KO claim, I felt it was a tackling motion the whole time and therefore not an action intended to kill the game. For me the key was the French player's focus - opponent and not ball.

    As for the forward pass that was given: it seemed very forward to me so I agree with the decision.

    I had to queue for the toilet during the Biggar try so missed the replays😎
    Last edited by irishref; 23-02-20 at 12:02. Reason: Typo

  6. #26

    Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!
    SimonSmith's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    8,539
    Thanks (Received)
    64
    Likes (Received)
    838

    Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

    Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    My agenda is that in this match the ref bottled two important calls that would, in most other internationals, have been called PT's. Perhaps I am wrong, and am interested to hear opposing views, supported by evidence - as well as those which support my own. If you don't like to hear that people think refs sometimes get it wrong, or come here to say "hey, the ref got that wrong didn't they", then what is this site for?
    There is a huge difference between wondering the referee made a mistake, and if so why, and accusing him of bottling a decision.

    The site is here to help referees and to discuss interesting things that have come up.
    It isn't here to cast pejorative aspersions on referees at any level of the game.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

    Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

    Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

  7. #27

    Referees in Scotland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    20 Dec 17
    Posts
    561
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    168

    Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

    I’m very surprised by the tone of the original thread. There is debate about whether the decisions are correct ( and as there is disagreement it suggests they were correct, or at least open to interpretation). But why would any fellow referee consider a wrong decision to be ‘bottling it’? If the decision is important (I’d argue all are important but here let’s say these are high profile) then as a referee you’d want to be sure. The fact there is dissent here suggest there is doubt, so you cannot be sure and we shouldn’t be using such emotive and critical language.

  8. #28
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    973
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    196

    Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I’m very surprised by the tone of the original thread. There is debate about whether the decisions are correct ( and as there is disagreement it suggests they were correct, or at least open to interpretation). But why would any fellow referee consider a wrong decision to be ‘bottling it’? If the decision is important (I’d argue all are important but here let’s say these are high profile) then as a referee you’d want to be sure. The fact there is dissent here suggest there is doubt, so you cannot be sure and we shouldn’t be using such emotive and critical language.
    Is the OP a Referee?

  9. #29

    Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    14,997
    Thanks (Received)
    177
    Likes (Received)
    1380
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    There is a huge difference between wondering the referee made a mistake, and if so why, and accusing him of bottling a decision.

    The site is here to help referees and to discuss interesting things that have come up.
    It isn't here to cast pejorative aspersions on referees at any level of the game.
    If the ref "bottled it", then so did (presumably) the two AR's, both experienced (one more experienced than anyone else at the ground), and a very experienced TMO.
    Team of 4 worked together on these decision.

    To say the ref bottled it is inflammatory and unnecessary.

    Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref


  10. #30
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Join Date
    04 Apr 12
    Posts
    143
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    37

    Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    If the ref "bottled it", then so did (presumably) the two AR's, both experienced (one more experienced than anyone else at the ground), and a very experienced TMO.
    Team of 4 worked together on these decision.

    To say the ref bottled it is inflammatory and unnecessary.
    Characterising it as the ref / To4 'bottling it' may be a bit strong but it raises the question of how much decisions are affected by the state of the game. Obviously all decisions should be made to reflect events and according to the LoTG but even refs are human.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •