Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wales v France - Did the ref bottle it?

Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    Well if I need to re-read the relevant law so does the TMO - because that's exactly what he said!! "Clearly regathered before touching down". Word. For. Word.
    Is this the try in the 75th minute? TMO says "he never loses possession clearly".

Interesting one. I think Red #10 loses possession but ball is held into his chest by Blue #15. On field decision try & TMO didn't have enough to clearly & obviously overturn that
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    OXON
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For full disclosure, I am French

I agree with Dickie, the law states "or another player " for me the ball touches blue arm when it is not in control by red so knock one.

I dont think it was a deliberate knock on.

Not sure about th penalty try.

2 others comments :
    I think Ref need to start looking at player "sliding" after a try is scored. Usually against the scorer, this week against the defender who was injured by a knee.
    Comments after the game were poor, I like pivac stating France was going at an angle after the BBC showing that it was the Welsh

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Just watched the scrum on 68 minutes. That is not a Penalty try. "PROBABLY"? Not a chance.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The Biggar try was worth a look. It's not C & O either way. I SUSPECT he lost it onto the French man. But I think in the circumstances you stay with the onfield call.

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For the deliberate KO claim, I felt it was a tackling motion the whole time and therefore not an action intended to kill the game. For me the key was the French player's focus - opponent and not ball.

As for the forward pass that was given: it seemed very forward to me so I agree with the decision.

I had to queue for the toilet during the Biggar try so missed the replays😎
    Last edited by irishref; 23-02-20 at 12:02. Reason: Typo

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    My agenda is that in this match the ref bottled two important calls that would, in most other internationals, have been called PT's. Perhaps I am wrong, and am interested to hear opposing views, supported by evidence - as well as those which support my own. If you don't like to hear that people think refs sometimes get it wrong, or come here to say "hey, the ref got that wrong didn't they", then what is this site for?
    There is a huge difference between wondering the referee made a mistake, and if so why, and accusing him of bottling a decision.

The site is here to help referees and to discuss interesting things that have come up.
    It isn't here to cast pejorative aspersions on referees at any level of the game.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I’m very surprised by the tone of the original thread. There is debate about whether the decisions are correct ( and as there is disagreement it suggests they were correct, or at least open to interpretation). But why would any fellow referee consider a wrong decision to be ‘bottling it’? If the decision is important (I’d argue all are important but here let’s say these are high profile) then as a referee you’d want to be sure. The fact there is dissent here suggest there is doubt, so you cannot be sure and we shouldn’t be using such emotive and critical language.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I’m very surprised by the tone of the original thread. There is debate about whether the decisions are correct ( and as there is disagreement it suggests they were correct, or at least open to interpretation). But why would any fellow referee consider a wrong decision to be ‘bottling it’? If the decision is important (I’d argue all are important but here let’s say these are high profile) then as a referee you’d want to be sure. The fact there is dissent here suggest there is doubt, so you cannot be sure and we shouldn’t be using such emotive and critical language.
    Is the OP a Referee?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    There is a huge difference between wondering the referee made a mistake, and if so why, and accusing him of bottling a decision.

The site is here to help referees and to discuss interesting things that have come up.
    It isn't here to cast pejorative aspersions on referees at any level of the game.
    If the ref "bottled it", then so did (presumably) the two AR's, both experienced (one more experienced than anyone else at the ground), and a very experienced TMO.
    Team of 4 worked together on these decision.

To say the ref bottled it is inflammatory and unnecessary.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    If the ref "bottled it", then so did (presumably) the two AR's, both experienced (one more experienced than anyone else at the ground), and a very experienced TMO.
    Team of 4 worked together on these decision.

To say the ref bottled it is inflammatory and unnecessary.
    Characterising it as the ref / To4 'bottling it' may be a bit strong but it raises the question of how much decisions are affected by the state of the game. Obviously all decisions should be made to reflect events and according to the LoTG but even refs are human.

Thread Information