Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Henshaw on May

Ironically maybe given other threards, this all happened because Ireland didnt post a pillar or form a snake...

Rich_NL is spot on of course. Whether May was or was not offside is open to conjecture (another total lack of interaction with T04 whoich was interesting) but certainly the very small ruck footrint and the lacl of Ire protection for the ball/9 meant he had the maximum opportunity to _possibly_ get a hand in the way. [ more a coaching point than a laws point of course :-) ]

didds

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    I just heard Jim Hamilton on the Rugby Pod say "Slapping the ball from the 9's hands has always been illegal!". Is that true ?
    Forget the offside for a moment; if the 9 has lifted it, and an opponent slaps the ball from his hands, is that illegal ?
    Do you penalise that under "diving on a ball as it leaves a ruck" offence ?
    Good to hear that Jim has been listening to his coaches. As a general rule a slap from the 9's hands has to be by someone in the ruck, if not yet off the ground then that is handling in the ruck, or often off their feet, and often forward as well to KO and definitely a deliberate action. Most players are coached to leave it alone if you are in the ruck. On side players can challenge the 9, but I for one try and make sure they are really onside (clear space behind back foot) before the ball is out.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    West Yorkshire
    Grade
    Ref Advisor/Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Good to hear that Jim has been listening to his coaches. As a general rule a slap from the 9's hands has to be by someone in the ruck, if not yet off the ground then that is handling in the ruck, or often off their feet, and often forward as well to KO and definitely a deliberate action. Most players are coached to leave it alone if you are in the ruck. On side players can challenge the 9, but I for one try and make sure they are really onside (clear space behind back foot) before the ball is out.
    Pinky a word of warning about having clear space behind the offside line; you will find some assessors who will mark you down for controlling the space incorrectly (by requiring more than the law states).

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Elpablo73 View Post
    Pinky a word of warning about having clear space behind the offside line; you will find some assessors who will mark you down for controlling the space incorrectly (by requiring more than the law states).
    If I expected a 1m space, i would agree, but making it clear you expect players to actually be behind the back foot and not with their feet level with the back foot, you get a better game. I would also advocate for a law change to get more space, but that is another matter.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Elpablo73 View Post
    Ref is closer to the action than the advisor. "Guys make sure you are not just back behind your offside line but make sure you look like you are to me!"

Thread Information