Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Henshaw on May

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie View Post
    Yes to all three...
    ... to penalise May for being offside at the ruck when he stole the ball...
    Just revisited the highlights and I'm not sure May was offside. But you have raised the question of how far back TMO reviews should go. If (s)he was asked to review the 'tackle' should (s)he be able, independently, to go back further? And, if so, should there be a time / phase limit?

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I would think the foul play would overrule offside.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    I would think the foul play would overrule offside.

This. If you collect the ball when offside and I then punch you and kick you, it would be somewhat bizarre for me not to concede a pk (cards or not!)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    OXON
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Didds - agree but serious question when do you draw the line.

If Blue is offside, and then tackled with no arm (american football tackle in the legs ie illegal but "not dangerous" ) do you turn the penalty ? I would say no.
    If Blue is offside, and then tackled with no arm (like a shoulder charge with force ie YC) do you turn the penalty ? I would say yes.

So in the case at hand, if both offisde and no arm tackle were seen, I would expect to go back to first penalty.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by belhysys View Post
    ...american football tackle in the legs...
    Perhaps Peyper took inspiration from the NFL in another way and decided that after a possible offside by white and a no arms tackle by green the two penalties offset, so allowed play to carry on.

I confess as a non-ref it looked like a cast-iron penalty to me, so delighted to find actual refs agree.

I can accept the ref missing it - sometimes, you just don't see things - but how the video ref didn't think it worthy of a look I have no idea.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by belhysys View Post

If Blue is offside, and then tackled with no arm (american football tackle in the legs ie illegal but "not dangerous" ) do you turn the penalty ? I would say no.
    If you are saying a no arms tackle on the legs is not dangerous then your 'radar' is seriously off!!

This has been specifically targeted over the last couple of years in IRFUland with a recommendation of Red card!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    OXON
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I have never seen a red card for a no arm tackle in the legs (as you see often during pick and go) and I am not aware of such recommendation by the RFU and sorry if I offended you by my previous post... anyway my question is the same, just replace by a penalty you are happy is not dangerous.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm no England fan but I felt May was completely robbed. He'd neatly kicked it through and there was no way the last defender was going to catch him - if it weren't for the late (no-arms) tackle he would have been in like sin. So a YC/PT for me any day of the week - but then I'm not a ref so what do I know

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

2 glaring errors in 1 phase.

May is at the side of a ruck and dives on top of the ball as Cooney is assessing what to do with it. PK Green 100 times out of 100.

After the kick chase, Henshaw is slightly late but 100% with a no-arms tackle. PK white 100 times out of 100.

In my humble one, justice has actually prevailed in this case which makes the ref look very poor indeed.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by irishref View Post
    2 glaring errors in 1 phase.

May is at the side of a ruck and dives on top of the ball as Cooney is assessing what to do with it. PK Green 100 times out of 100..
    law reference?

If it's that thing about not diving on a ball as it exits a ruck Ive never seen that pinged in 45 years.

As it is May doesn't dive on the ball. Cooney extracts it and May attacks the ball in Cooney's hands, which goes down out of Cooney's hands onto the ground. May falls onto the ground as part of his efforts from where he claims the ball and sets off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRBL...youtu.be&t=302

It's unclear whether May was offside though I suspect so - but the referee and TMO/To4 didnt even consider that so presumably "not". It's possibly down to that "hindmost foot" thing, and whether the prone england player with dangling feet consitiutes the hindmost foot or the Irish player next towards the Irish side or somebody else entirely.

I''m not sure it was a probable try either so no PT for me had the no arms tackle been pinged.

It's a marginal timing thing arguably for the late tackle, but the no arms thing is on dodgy ground. FWIW I have seen PKs given at this level for chop tackles with no arms, though I couldn't point to any spefiic incidents. The game is setting a poor precedent if it will "permit" the sort of block/tackle such as Henshaw ended up with against May here I might suggest. What I would ask though if May hadnt have kicked and instead kept ball in hand would we expect Henshaw's no arms block thiing to have been permitted?

England were not really firing that well Sunday but inh the end won very easily nonetheless against a team that hardly seemed to trun up. Sexton was way off the pace form the first minute - bit like Farrell against France frankly. Conot Murray had a nightmare.

Overall I thought at the time the ref had a decent game but Ive seen a lot subsequently (here mainly) that inretrospect he won't have been happy about it

didds
    Last edited by didds; 25-02-20 at 08:02.

Thread Information