Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tap and Go

Law 20.14
    If it is taken so quickly that opponents have no opportunity to retreat, they will not be sanctioned for this. However, they may not take part in the game until they have retreated 10 metres from the mark or until a team-mate who was 10 metres from the mark has moved in front of them.

If the ball carrier runs directly into a retreating player that player is not taking part in the game unless they have moved into the line of the ball carrier.
    Keep smiling!

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    It still is, under 9.7 as Dickie quoted in post #4.
    I thought that was more for diving a la Hogg.

I think it's a tough sell; they're not necessarily leading the ref to think the other player is onside, but tempting the other player to take action (that puts them liable to penalty). Does that mean a scrumhalf launching a ball into an offside player should get a penalty against?

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    I thought that was more for diving a la Hogg.

I think it's a tough sell; they're not necessarily leading the ref to think the other player is onside, but tempting the other player to take action (that puts them liable to penalty). Does that mean a scrumhalf launching a ball into an offside player should get a penalty against?

In the former (a la OP), I called play on, and the BC didn't try it again (nor did anyone else that game).

For the scrum-half throwing the ball at the player, I'd be inclined to talk to the captain and 9. IMO the restart should be a scrum so as to not reward such behavior, but I'm not sure how to justify it in law.

Follow-up - I've seen some defenders actively retreating and, upon seeing that the ball is going wide, drop down to try and take themselves out of the play. I let it go, but would have PK'd if I felt that the defender was trying to deny options.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I have empathy with the scrum half.

Oppo gets between 9 and 10 at the crucial moment , if the scrum half throws the ball anyway the ref says he is milking it, if he goes blind the ref says it wasn't material, he passed the other way anyway

I am giving the PK against the offside player .. don't run back through that channel

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree. I mean more throwing it at a retreating player who's not particularly in the way, in the hope of attracting a penalty.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I have empathy with the scrum half.

Oppo gets between 9 and 10 at the crucial moment , if the scrum half throws the ball anyway the ref says he is milking it, if he goes blind the ref says it wasn't material, he passed the other way anyway

I am giving the PK against the offside player .. don't run back through that channel
    yep. 100% agree. The offside player IS material, (s)he is removoing options. I can see the point of not wanting 9s to pass the ball into an o/s player to prevent falre-ups... but then such players MUST be called early and loudly by refs to remove the temptation to ensure the offside is noticed etc.

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So, where should the retiring player go gents? The fastest way back on side is a straight line. The same argument could be made between the 10 and 12 - or the 12 and 13 etc. Personally I'd go with the following.

Did the retreating player change speed/direction to get in the way? Yes - PK - No - Play On
    Did the retreating player actively intercept the pass (did he catch it/Make himself bigger to get in the way)? Yes - PK - No - Play On
    Did the Attacking 9 (knowingly throw the ball to the retreating player? Yes - Play On - No - Play On (subject to the above)

Being in an offside position is not technically an offence. Being in active play in an offside position IS.

I remember being pinged offside once. I was 20m meters behind play and walking back intentionally so I was nowhere near the ruck. Therefore not material.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arab I think you are being far too forgiving to the offside player

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Arab I think you are being far too forgiving to the offside player

I disagree, if he's doing all he can to stay out the road. Why should he be punished? In that regard as soon as the tackler rolls away he's offside and should be penalised for it (if he's on the wrong side). I'm just there to facilitate a match is played within the LoTG. If a player is offside, but 20m away from play he's clearly not material. If he's close to the play it then becomes a possible issue.

If he's actively trying not to impede the play then I'll look at whats infront of me. If the 9 plays quick ball from the ruck and hasn't seen the retreating player, even if it's accidental, I'll still ping him for being offside if he affects the pass in anyway.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The context is that he is in a space where the 9 is tempted to throw a pass at him to highlight that he is in the way ? So we are talking about in the 9 10 channel or between the 9 and his blind side option

In that context my starting point is that he is in that palace to interfere with play

Thread Information