Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Tap and Go

      
  1. #1
    Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    25 Feb 20
    Posts
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Tap and Go

    Hi All,

    Recently I refereed some youth matches and tap and go for a penalty was very common rather than kicking to touch.

    What I found was that some of the younger players would tap and go and run straight at retreating players. I understand the requirement for the opposing team to retreat 10m, and if the penalty is taken so quickly opposing players don't have time to retreat 10m then they need to wait until the player with the ball has covered 10m or they don't interfere with play until they have retreated the 10m.

    But what if the player with the ball literally runs straight at retreating players and leaves them little/no opportunity to get out of the way and contact is made? What is the decision?

    Thanks All.
    DT

  2. #2

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,643
    Thanks (Received)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    1423

    Default Re: Tap and Go

    Quote Originally Posted by dt79 View Post
    Hi All,

    Recently I refereed some youth matches and tap and go for a penalty was very common rather than kicking to touch.

    What I found was that some of the younger players would tap and go and run straight at retreating players. I understand the requirement for the opposing team to retreat 10m, and if the penalty is taken so quickly opposing players don't have time to retreat 10m then they need to wait until the player with the ball has covered 10m or they don't interfere with play until they have retreated the 10m.

    But what if the player with the ball literally runs straight at retreating players and leaves them little/no opportunity to get out of the way and contact is made? What is the decision?

    Thanks All.
    DT
    was the contact violent? Was the ball carrier trying to buy a further penalty? If it was an incidental bump I'd play on and make sure everyone knew that.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  3. #3
    Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    25 Feb 20
    Posts
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Tap and Go

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    was the contact violent? Was the ball carrier trying to buy a further penalty? If it was an incidental bump I'd play on and make sure everyone knew that.
    No I wouldn't say violent, maybe a bit of a barge when contact was made. I did wonder if one coach was telling his players to go after the additional penalty but difficult to say. The few times it did happen I let play continue but I wish now I had had a chat with the captains just to clear it up and try to stop it from happening. Thanks for the response.

  4. #4

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,643
    Thanks (Received)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    1423

    Default Re: Tap and Go

    yeah, have a chat and get them to sort it.

    If you really, really have to, you can always pull out law 9.7:

    A player must not:
    Intentionally infringe any law of the game.
    Intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball with arm or hand from the playing area.
    Do anything that may lead the match officials to consider that an opponent has committed an infringement.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  5. #5

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,383
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1913

    Default Re: Tap and Go

    Quote Originally Posted by dt79 View Post
    No I wouldn't say violent, maybe a bit of a barge when contact was made. I did wonder if one coach was telling his players to go after the additional penalty but difficult to say. The few times it did happen I let play continue but I wish now I had had a chat with the captains just to clear it up and try to stop it from happening. .
    I think that is spot on..

  6. #6

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,958
    Thanks (Received)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    1002

    Default Re: Tap and Go

    If they have deliberatelyu run into a genuinely retiring player (and/or one who is trying to get out of their way) that is their problem. The defender still cannott deliberately interfere with the ball carrier until theyve retreated the 10m... but its the BC's problem.

    I spy shit "gotcha" coaching.

    didds

  7. #7
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,811
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    443

    Default Re: Tap and Go

    When it happens the first time, a loud: "PLAY ON. Don't try it on!"

    Second time Stop play explain to the Captain that you are not going to allow them to milk a PK and further "gamesmanship will be "dealt with"". Then go back for a re-take of the penalty.

    Third time: Penalty against them (You warned them last time!).

  8. #8
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,339
    Thanks (Received)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    377

    Default Re: Tap and Go

    It used to be explicitly in the rules - if they try to contrive a penalty, play on

  9. #9

    Referees in England
    Pablo's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    6
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks (Received)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    83

    Default Re: Tap and Go

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    It used to be explicitly in the rules - if they try to contrive a penalty, play on
    It still is, under 9.7 as Dickie quoted in post #4.
    If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you... you must be a rugby referee!

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity - and I'm not sure about the universe..." - Albert Einstein

  10. #10

    Referees in England
    Pablo's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    6
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks (Received)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    83

    Default Re: Tap and Go

    Quote Originally Posted by dt79 View Post
    Hi All,

    Recently I refereed some youth matches and tap and go for a penalty was very common rather than kicking to touch.

    What I found was that some of the younger players would tap and go and run straight at retreating players. I understand the requirement for the opposing team to retreat 10m, and if the penalty is taken so quickly opposing players don't have time to retreat 10m then they need to wait until the player with the ball has covered 10m or they don't interfere with play until they have retreated the 10m.

    But what if the player with the ball literally runs straight at retreating players and leaves them little/no opportunity to get out of the way and contact is made? What is the decision?

    Thanks All.
    DT
    This was a Matt Dawson favourite (among others). As others have advised, it is an attempt to contrive a cheap new penalty further down the pitch.

    The not-10 defender is required to retreat, and is required to not take part in play until he/she has retired. He/she is NOT required to vanish into the ether, or become somehow insubstantial. If the quick tapper runs into an opponent who is complying as required, then that's the quick tapper's look out.

    A quick call of "play on, he's looked for contact" should leave no doubts that you have seen through the ruse and you aren't buying it.
    If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you... you must be a rugby referee!

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity - and I'm not sure about the universe..." - Albert Einstein

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •