Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tap and Go

Hi All,

Recently I refereed some youth matches and tap and go for a penalty was very common rather than kicking to touch.

What I found was that some of the younger players would tap and go and run straight at retreating players. I understand the requirement for the opposing team to retreat 10m, and if the penalty is taken so quickly opposing players don't have time to retreat 10m then they need to wait until the player with the ball has covered 10m or they don't interfere with play until they have retreated the 10m.

But what if the player with the ball literally runs straight at retreating players and leaves them little/no opportunity to get out of the way and contact is made? What is the decision?

Thanks All.
    DT

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tap and Go

Quote Originally Posted by dt79 View Post
    Hi All,

Recently I refereed some youth matches and tap and go for a penalty was very common rather than kicking to touch.

What I found was that some of the younger players would tap and go and run straight at retreating players. I understand the requirement for the opposing team to retreat 10m, and if the penalty is taken so quickly opposing players don't have time to retreat 10m then they need to wait until the player with the ball has covered 10m or they don't interfere with play until they have retreated the 10m.

But what if the player with the ball literally runs straight at retreating players and leaves them little/no opportunity to get out of the way and contact is made? What is the decision?

Thanks All.
    DT
    was the contact violent? Was the ball carrier trying to buy a further penalty? If it was an incidental bump I'd play on and make sure everyone knew that.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    was the contact violent? Was the ball carrier trying to buy a further penalty? If it was an incidental bump I'd play on and make sure everyone knew that.
    No I wouldn't say violent, maybe a bit of a barge when contact was made. I did wonder if one coach was telling his players to go after the additional penalty but difficult to say. The few times it did happen I let play continue but I wish now I had had a chat with the captains just to clear it up and try to stop it from happening. Thanks for the response.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

yeah, have a chat and get them to sort it.

If you really, really have to, you can always pull out law 9.7:

A player must not:
    Intentionally infringe any law of the game.
    Intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball with arm or hand from the playing area.
    Do anything that may lead the match officials to consider that an opponent has committed an infringement.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No I wouldn't say violent, maybe a bit of a barge when contact was made. I did wonder if one coach was telling his players to go after the additional penalty but difficult to say. The few times it did happen I let play continue but I wish now I had had a chat with the captains just to clear it up and try to stop it from happening. .
    I think that is spot on..

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If they have deliberatelyu run into a genuinely retiring player (and/or one who is trying to get out of their way) that is their problem. The defender still cannott deliberately interfere with the ball carrier until theyve retreated the 10m... but its the BC's problem.

I spy shit "gotcha" coaching.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

When it happens the first time, a loud: "PLAY ON. Don't try it on!"

Second time Stop play explain to the Captain that you are not going to allow them to milk a PK and further "gamesmanship will be "dealt with"". Then go back for a re-take of the penalty.

Third time: Penalty against them (You warned them last time!).

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It used to be explicitly in the rules - if they try to contrive a penalty, play on

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    It used to be explicitly in the rules - if they try to contrive a penalty, play on
    It still is, under 9.7 as Dickie quoted in post #4.
    If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you... you must be a rugby referee!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity - and I'm not sure about the universe..." - Albert Einstein

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All,

Thanks All.
    DT
    This was a Matt Dawson favourite (among others). As others have advised, it is an attempt to contrive a cheap new penalty further down the pitch.

The not-10 defender is required to retreat, and is required to not take part in play until he/she has retired. He/she is NOT required to vanish into the ether, or become somehow insubstantial. If the quick tapper runs into an opponent who is complying as required, then that's the quick tapper's look out.

A quick call of "play on, he's looked for contact" should leave no doubts that you have seen through the ruse and you aren't buying it.
    If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you... you must be a rugby referee!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity - and I'm not sure about the universe..." - Albert Einstein

Thread Information