Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Red and Yellow Cards at Youth Level

Are red and yellow cards readily used for youth rugby matches or do we try to avoid it at a junior level and opt more for warnings and awarding the penalties? In my very very limited experience from the weekend I saw a few high tackles but nothing outrageous, and an intentional knock-on but I didn't yellow card for them as it was an U14 match and it just felt like an over reaction. I understand entirely we should be embedding the laws and values of the game to players from a young age, but I also feel I don't want to yellow and red card players at that level unless it is egregious. If we do yellow card how long do we send the player off for given it is only 20 or 25 minute halves? Missing a quarter of the game for a yellow card offense doesn't strike me as reasonable. Can we reduce the time the player is off for? Perhaps do 5 minutes for a yellow in a 20 minute half? Thanks all.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Red and Yellow Cards at Youth Level

Quote Originally Posted by dt79 View Post
    Are red and yellow cards readily used for youth rugby matches or do we try to avoid it at a junior level and opt more for warnings and awarding the penalties?
    Yes to this but depends on your local expectations & regulations. What country are you in?

Also will depend on the level of the game. Experienced & skilled players may expect to get shorter shrift than the novices. [shrift: a word that is underused IMO]
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

USA, specifically Southern California

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

in England we have cards at U14 (it is 5 minutes. They are playing 25 mins each way. That is in the Regs)

For a RC offence I would give a RC.

For YC offence I would give a YC (espcecially for a high tackle, in your example, if it's a YC tackle following the framework)

Caveats would be
    - the 'team warning' . I don't think they are properly communicated or understood at U14. Don't give them

- YC for 'cynical' offending , I would tend to give a 14 year old the benefit of the doubt of what was cyncical, where appropriate.
    Last edited by crossref; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:02.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Why would you not give cards at youth level? Youth players are full of testosterone. They need careful management. Take away cards and your options are severly limited.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yellow card time? Unless your Union giver specific ledership (is it in the regs?) Pro-rata it down. 80 min game YC is 10 mins. So 40 min game 5 mins. etc. Though I'd suggest you don't go for 2½ mins for a 20 min game.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

RFU REGULATION 15 – AGE GRADE RUGBY (APPENDIX 8)
    UNDER 14s RULES OF PLAY – BOYS ONLY

16. If a player is temporarily suspended in an Age Grade match, the duration of time in the
    Sin Bin shall be 5 minutes.

Cards are first introduced at U14. If they are introduced they are there to be used, however don't forget that at U14 the referee is still educating the players on the laws. Make sure you explain clearly and concisely what each penalty is for so that they learn going forward.

However if they don't, or won't learn then cards are there to be used as part of the escalation process.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Actually cards come in at U13 (for RFU), also 5 minutes in the bin, but the important point which Phil E highlights is that both U13 and U14 are within the new rules of play progression, and a specific documented point in there is that the referee is expected to 'advise and guide' the players too, ie coaching not just refereeing, if that means stopping the game and explaining in more detail (even if it prevents a quick tap) then that's the right thing do do - most yellow cards are avoidable, certainly for anything up to foul play

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In age grade before cards, the referee usually has the power to require a substitution of a player who needs to calm down a bit. That way the individual learns, but the team is not penalised.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    In age grade before cards, the referee usually has the power to require a substitution of a player who needs to calm down a bit. That way the individual learns, but the team is not penalised.
    Something I still do, certainly at the younger youth levels, eg if I see the testosterone kicking in, someone getting riled, reactiing negatively or bubbling away I'll try and suggest a coach takes him off for a few mins for a cool down

Thread Information