Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Penalty Try or not? Opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    But you coudnt give it though really ? And to do so would be a criitcal error (notwirhstranding SAFETY - Enjoyment nee equity - law etc)

didds
    I like Marc's answer in post 24

But give me an actual scenario .. realistic one, I will tell you my decision

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ive given one in some thread of other about a blind side try opportunity and the sole defender creeping offside unintentionally. A not totally unl9ikely scenario I'd suggest.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Ive given one in some thread of other about a blind side try opportunity and the sole defender creeping offside unintentionally. A not totally unl9ikely scenario I'd suggest.

didds
    I replied to that one , I think, PT and YC. I don't believe any one accidentally manages to disrupt a 3 man overlap

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It wasn't a three man overlap. And i think at some levels in the deepest part of youth and grass roots accidental offides occur all the time, let alone differences in interprtation/understanding of what constitutes offside and the player gets their call wrong (in the eyes of the ref etc). That didnt mean that player was deliberately offside. It meant they didnt belive they were offside at the time. That's not an intentional act of offside.

IMO.

didds
    Last edited by didds; 09-03-20 at 13:03.

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Good thread, folks !
    Just worth re-iterating, as a couple of posters seemed to accept the PT but then to wonder about the appropriateness of a YC ( depending on the violence/temper of game etc ).
    I thought, once we have decided it was a PT, we are required to issue a YC to the offender ( if identified ).
    I am reminded of a U19s game 2 seasons ago. 2 good schools teams. I was being "observed". Winger dived for the line about 4 meters out and a flying last-ditch tackle wrapped round the neck; winger dropped ball. I awarded PT but no YC. I got it wrong. I allowed my empathy for the defender to override the laws.
    My observer picked me up on that. I tried to explain about mitigation and non-intentional ( just clumsy ) tackle and was (quite rightly ) told it was irrelevant. Once I had decided that its a PT, then I MUST YC the offender.
    I have since understood why.

Thread Information