Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default YC/RD

One of the other threads has got me wondering.

If I'm reffing a match and a player commits a YC offence AND denies a clear try scoring opportunity, I'm giving the PT. My question is as the protocol for a PT is to issue a YC automatically. Should you wait and issue the YC after the PT or issue it for the offence?

And if you YC the offence, then award the PT, technically this should be a YC too. So should you then issue a 2nd yellow? This seems overly harsh to me personally. I'd think it makes more sense to issue the YC after the PT.

Or is the timing of the YC irrelevant here. EG you can give the YC then the PT?
    Last edited by Arabcheif; 05-03-20 at 17:03.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: YC/RD

A PT is always a mandatory YC (even if the offence might not otherwise have deserved it)

For me if there was dangerous offence there is always a potential flashpoint here. Deal with the offence, announcing loudly that is going to be a PT as well as a card (this will calm down the non offending team)

Don't run off under the posts with who knows what handbags developing behind your back

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It's not a double yellow. Foul play causing a penalty try is *at least* a yellow, that's all. Award the try, card the player.

My difficulty with the process is that it's very often a flashpoint, and I don't want to run away to blow between the posts when it could all be kicking off.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

good advice from Crossreff but it is never 2 yellow cards for one offence. Of course if you give the yellow then the player gives you verbals which warrant a second yellow, that would be ok.
    Ciaran Trainor

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks chaps, this is what I was thinking. I'd always deal with the offence first and calm things down before speaking to the player involved and their captains.

Then give the PT and issue the card. Like I said a double yellow for one offence seems harsh.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Thanks chaps, this is what I was thinking. I'd always deal with the offence first and calm things down before speaking to the player involved and their captains.

Then give the PT and issue the card. Like I said a double yellow for one offence seems harsh.
    Yes but one of your big tools for calming down the 'victim' team is to let them know you are giving a PT .. that will normally go some way to calming them . so don't keep that happy news to yourself, tell them it's coming as soon as you have given the card

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    A PT is always a mandatory YC (even if the offence might not otherwise have deserved it)
    that might be an England thing. Here, if its a collapsed scrum with no clear miscreant, then no YC.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    that might be an England thing. Here, if its a collapsed scrum with no clear miscreant, then no YC.
    I always thought if it's a collapsed scrum with no clear offender you reset the scrum. No Penalty offence means no Potential PT.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Law 8.3. If you can't identify the offender, that's a different matter, though.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    One of the other threads has got me wondering.

If I'm reffing a match and a player commits a YC offence AND denies a clear try scoring opportunity, I'm giving the PT. My question is as the protocol for a PT is to issue a YC automatically. Should you wait and issue the YC after the PT or issue it for the offence?

And if you YC the offence, then award the PT, technically this should be a YC too. So should you then issue a 2nd yellow? This seems overly harsh to me personally. I'd think it makes more sense to issue the YC after the PT.

Or is the timing of the YC irrelevant here. EG you can give the YC then the PT?

Law 8.3 Of course if you can't be sure which player commited the offence they "get away" with no card.

Thread Information