Thread: Marler grope

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Marler grope

It's a grey area. It has to be a sexual act to count as sexual assault - kneeing someone in the crotch or punching in the breast doesn't count. I can see both sides of the argument for whether it is or isn't. Ultimately it's semantics, but it's an emotive term that confuses the issue - there's a tendency to either think it's Really Serious because you apply the term "sexual assault" to it, or that it's inconsequential because "it's obviously not sexual assault".

It's a player grabbing another player's genitals to spark a rise. It's definitely a citable offence, though the 12 week minimum sanction for physical abuse appears to be for intentionally aiming to injure an opponent, as it falls under dangerous play; from what I've seen of the incident, "unsportsmanlike conduct" would be a much more appropriate charge.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Wish everyone would take a chill pill, When Vinnie Jones did it to Gazza, was there cases of "sexual assault" the following weekend at the kids 5-a-side tournament? When Marler squirted Hask with a bottle, did we have kids at the minis festival going down with hypothermia because they were too wet? At the end of the day, if the ref had seen it, he might have given a PK for ungentlemanly conduct, he certain wouldn't have sent him off, therefore no citing and no ban.

The bigger issue is Eddie Jones calling the ref a cheat, let's deal with that one!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFG View Post

The bigger issue is Eddie Jones calling the ref a cheat, let's deal with that one!!!!!
    the issue is why we are hell bent on bothering with pre and post match intervbviews which end up with banalties or stupid stuff that is of not real interest at all

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    It's a grey area. It has to be a sexual act to count as sexual assault - kneeing someone in the crotch or punching in the breast doesn't count. I can see both sides of the argument for whether it is or isn't. Ultimately it's semantics, but it's an emotive term that confuses the issue - there's a tendency to either think it's Really Serious because you apply the term "sexual assault" to it, or that it's inconsequential because "it's obviously not sexual assault".

It's a player grabbing another player's genitals to spark a rise. It's definitely a citable offence, though the 12 week minimum sanction for physical abuse appears to be for intentionally aiming to injure an opponent, as it falls under dangerous play; from what I've seen of the incident, "unsportsmanlike conduct" would be a much more appropriate charge.
    In the sanctions table it does indeed come under unsportsmanlike conduct. So i think he may well get 12 weeks

If you saw it in your game you would give a PK ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    HRURS
    Grade
    6 - Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFG View Post
    Wish everyone would take a chill pill, When Vinnie Jones did it to Gazza, was there cases of "sexual assault" the following weekend at the kids 5-a-side tournament? When Marler squirted Hask with a bottle, did we have kids at the minis festival going down with hypothermia because they were too wet? At the end of the day, if the ref had seen it, he might have given a PK for ungentlemanly conduct, he certain wouldn't have sent him off, therefore no citing and no ban.

I agree with you BFG about Uncle Eddie but Jo Marler has been cited.
    I didnt think there was a previous case then I came across this -
    https://www.the42.ie/ryan-wilson-tes...56371-Jan2016/

Lee Dickson alleged Ryan Wilson grabbed his testicles. RW pleaded not guilty and video evidence was "not clear and obvious" so RW was cleared to play.

However, the evidence is clear and obvious and not "a load of b***cks" as Jo claimed
    Last edited by Blindpugh; 09-03-20 at 17:03.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I found something online about a London Irish player that got 6 weeks for knob twiddling

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think Joe Marler is over thinking his bid to become a character. In support of Didds' stance, lots of things that used to happen on a rugby pitch, or in the bar afterwards, or on the bus home are just in no way acceptable now. To be honest they probably weren't acceptable then but no one listened. On the grounds that I've seen considerably worse sexual assaults on the field, bus or clubhouse, Marler's actions on Saturday didn't even register with me beyond thinking, "that's a bit old school". More shame me. We used to have a Captain who gave his half-time team talks whilst having a pee with the team standing in a circle round him. No one thought that was odd for some reason, we just assumed he had a weaker bladder than most. Also for unacceptable initiation ceremonies, listen to Matt Dawson's story and that's not dissimilar to the initiation at the club I played for at Colts level during the mid 80s.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    HRURS
    Grade
    6 - Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/51796122

I doubt many rugby fans will have watched this but Phillipa Tutliett - CH4 Female Builders, Women 7's International and Bristol Ladies summed Jo Marler's action as stupidity. PT (1.10 - 2mins) said players like this (Marler) are privledged to play in front of millions and have a responsibility to be role models not carryout acts like that.

My pre match talk whether u13 or over 60 is I have come to referee a game of rugby not football. How the FA deal with overpaid players like VJ and Gazza has nothing to do with the standards professional rugby players are expected to set for grassroots rugby players.
    Last edited by Blindpugh; 09-03-20 at 19:03.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Again irrelevant. A tackle is legal on the pitch. Grabbing my balls is not. Had a plyer done that to me He 's not be using his "tackle " for quite a while. I'd not sort it and not in front of the referee either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Ok so for every high tackle, every player player in the air. Every time there's a kick/punch/etc. Let's get the police involved. Is that what you're saying Mark?
    Ok Let's explain it.

Not every high / late tackle or tackle in the air is intentional Some / many (Take your pick) are miss-judgements. If a tackle or punch or whatever was sufficiently "bad" the police can, and indeed, have become involved. So, for example, when on of my teams props was punched from behind the guilty player recieve a custodial sentence. I'd not expect a player misstiming a tackle to go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    Well, I'm only going by what you said. (I'm paraphrasing), you said tackling someone in your work place is different than these guys work place. While you're right with that, it's not permitted to tackle high, late, with no arms. So these offences are not expected likewise kicking punching etc. As such as they're against the Laws and grabbing private parts is also against the LoTG then we should really have equal punishment. Yes or no? I'd say the French 3 should get a lengthier ban than Joe Marler might get.

Equal punishment? Why? The punishment should fit the crime. It should be equitable, not necessarily, equal.
    I'll leave WR to set the tarrifs.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    My pre match talk whether u13 or over 60 is I have come to referee a game of rugby not football. .
    I'd be careful with that line, TBH .... many rugby players are also football fans. No point setting players against you before the game has even started ...

Thread Information