Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 69

Thread: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

      
  1. #51

    Promises to Referee in France
    L'irlandais's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Join Date
    11 May 10
    Posts
    4,587
    Thanks (Received)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    256

    Default Re: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

    Interestingly, when in the past Eddie Jones has refused to comment on an English player’s shoulder charge, (no card as Nic Berry refused to review the incident) but slammed a USA player’s shoulder charge on Owen Farrell. (red carded’ what more do you bloody want Eddie? Oh yeah, a ban. Demand that Manu be banned then too. Or doesn’t he believe in being consistent.)
    Jones refused to discuss the Farrell or Francis incident in detail, saying only: “We leave it to the judiciary.”
    What a bloody hypocrite that man is. Demands consistency from match officials, while being inconsistent himself.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 08-03-20 at 13:03.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

  2. #52

    Referees in Scotland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    20 Dec 17
    Posts
    561
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    168

    Default Re: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

    My tuppence worth - EJ's statements are unacceptable and he should be sanctioned by either the 6N committee or WR. It was a clear red card, shoulder charge with no attempt to wrap, aggravating factors with the 'tackling' player flying off his fit with arms tucked, contact with the head - really no option but a RC.

    BOK had no option with the YC, had warned England a further penalty would result in YC, penalty came, therefore YC is inevitable. On a side note I've been coached never to be as black and white as you do leave yourself with no options, I've been advised to say something like "Multiple penalties in this area of the pitch, if there are more I'm running out of options"

  3. #53
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks (Received)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    451

    Default Re: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post

    BOK had no option with the YC, had warned England a further penalty would result in YC, penalty came, therefore YC is inevitable. On a side note I've been coached never to be as black and white as you do leave yourself with no options, I've been advised to say something like "Multiple penalties in this area of the pitch, if there are more I'm running out of options"
    I guess the separate questions are

    1: was is are correct YC because it was a clearly a YC offence?

    Or

    2: was it correct to go to the pocket because the ref said "next one is a card" (The next one was serious enough to warrant a YC.)


    or

    3: was it correct to go to the pocket because the ref said "next one is a card" (The next one was NOT serious enough to warrant a YC)

    If it was 1, far enough. a Card is a card end of.

    If it was 2 the referee was "lucky" that the card was justified.

    If it was 3, however, the referee looks a little foolish.

    As you say, best tell the captain: "Sort out the Penalty count as I'm running out of options. Do you understand me?"
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 08-03-20 at 20:03. Reason: To make it read the way I think you meant it (will change back if wrong)

  4. #54

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,420
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1924

    Default Re: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post

    As you say, best tell the captian: "Sort out the Penalty count as I'm running out of options. Do you understand me?"
    I agree with that, that's what he should have said ... and then still given Genge the YC as they had been warned.

    (btw your option 2 and 3 are the same)

  5. #55
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,343
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    382

    Default Re: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

    One foot over the offside line isn't a YC, but in the context of multiple offenses in the red zone, absolutely a justified YC.

    I was a little surprised how explicit BOK was.

  6. #56

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,370
    Thanks (Received)
    113
    Likes (Received)
    1530

    Default Re: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Indeed ... but still subject to mitigation
    But here is the thing Dickie, at least this is how I see it, and I think it might be what crossref is getting at

    Tackling is legal, its only when its high that it becomes illegal, and direct contact to the head can be mitigated by the circumstances. A player can genuinely be attempting to make a legal tackle and be caught out by a sudden change in the picture (ball carrier suddenly slips or drops or a teammate tackes him and changes his aspect)

    However, a shoulder charge is illegal and an act of foul play right from the off. Yes, the tackled player may move unexpectedly, but the tackler came in with intent to make an illegal tackle. That should limit any mitigation, and which would be balanced against the aggravating factor of the player coming in with the intent to commit an act of foul play.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  7. #57

    Referees in Holland


    Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2
    Join Date
    15 Oct 11
    Posts
    959
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    60

    Default Re: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

    My tuppence worth:

    Framework & mitigating factors concern a tackle gone wrong.

    Tuilagi's contact was never going to be deemed a tackle, through lack of arms, thus foul play from the outset.

  8. #58

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,670
    Thanks (Received)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    1439

    Default Re: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    But here is the thing Dickie, at least this is how I see it, and I think it might be what crossref is getting at

    Tackling is legal, its only when its high that it becomes illegal, and direct contact to the head can be mitigated by the circumstances. A player can genuinely be attempting to make a legal tackle and be caught out by a sudden change in the picture (ball carrier suddenly slips or drops or a teammate tackes him and changes his aspect)

    However, a shoulder charge is illegal and an act of foul play right from the off. Yes, the tackled player may move unexpectedly, but the tackler came in with intent to make an illegal tackle. That should limit any mitigation, and which would be balanced against the aggravating factor of the player coming in with the intent to commit an act of foul play.
    I've had a change of heart. The way I'm now seeing it is mitigate down to yellow for the drop in height then bring it back up again to red due to one or more of the "factors against mitigation" (specifically the open space)
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  9. #59

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,420
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1924

    Default Re: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

    So apparently there are secret guidelines ..
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-manu-17886629

  10. #60

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,670
    Thanks (Received)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    1439

    Default Re: [6N] Eddie Jones Post Match Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    So apparently there are secret guidelines ..
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-manu-17886629
    which are in direct contradiction to the published guidelines
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •