Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

      
  1. #1
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    28 Oct 16
    Posts
    15
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

    Afternoon everyone
    I think I know the answer but was flummoxed earlier today when this happened. 2nd half restart, ball into in goal without touching anyone. Defender, instead of dotting down and making the ball dead, picks up and kicks the ball into touch in goal.

    Wasn't sure of the resulting decision so stated we'd kick off again - players (U16's) and coaches happy enough.

    Suspect the decision was for the defending team to state either kick again or scrum on half way as the ball has been made dead by a defender having gone into in goal directly from the restart.

    Law 12.9 only refers to the defender making the ball dead without delay, usually associated with dotting the ball down though this could, thinking logically, also equate to the ball going touch in goal and therefore being made dead.

    Thoughts?

    Cheers,

    Andy.

  2. #2
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    973
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    196

    Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lancsbarts View Post
    Afternoon everyone
    I think I know the answer but was flummoxed earlier today when this happened. 2nd half restart, ball into in goal without touching anyone. Defender, instead of dotting down and making the ball dead, picks up and kicks the ball into touch in goal.

    Wasn't sure of the resulting decision so stated we'd kick off again - players (U16's) and coaches happy enough.

    Suspect the decision was for the defending team to state either kick again or scrum on half way as the ball has been made dead by a defender having gone into in goal directly from the restart.

    Law 12.9 only refers to the defender making the ball dead without delay, usually associated with dotting the ball down though this could, thinking logically, also equate to the ball going touch in goal and therefore being made dead.

    Thoughts?

    Cheers,

    Andy.
    I think you have correctly answered your own question ie Scrum or retake. ...however I'msure others will chime in!

  3. #3

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,420
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1924

    Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

    I can understand why that threw you!

    I think if he did it without delay, it's the options (kick again / scrum back)
    If he delayed, and then kicked it out, it's a 22m DO

  4. #4

    Referees in England
    chbg's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Join Date
    15 May 09
    Posts
    1,029
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    188

    Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

    If he kicks it as soon as he was within reach, then options as that is "without delay".
    If he stands beside/over the ball, has a look around, and then kicks it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".
    If he picks it up as soon as he is within reach and immediately kicks it out, then options as that is "without delay".
    If he picks it up and has a look around before kicking it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".

    IMO
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

  5. #5

    Referees in England
    Pablo's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    6
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    1,399
    Thanks (Received)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    95

    Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

    Agree with retaken kick / scrum back options, assuming it was done without delay. Law doesn’t specify how a player must make it dead!

  6. #6
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    28 Oct 16
    Posts
    15
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

    [QUOTE=chbg;369033]If he kicks it as soon as he was within reach, then options as that is "without delay".
    If he stands beside/over the ball, has a look around, and then kicks it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".

    He literally picked it straight up and booted it as far as he could. Obviously unaware of the law and was looking to basically get as far up field as he could so by interpretation, re start or scrum back as played "without delay". One to remember for next time!!

  7. #7

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,420
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1924

    Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lancsbarts View Post
    [QUOT delay".

    He literally picked it straight up and booted it as far as he could. Obviously unaware of the law and was looking to basically get as far up field as he could so by interpretation, re start or scrum back as played "without delay". One to remember for next time!!
    Hang on lancsbart... Did he kick it into touch-in-goal or did he kick it up field into touch ? I am confused.

    If the latter then it's just play on
    Last edited by crossref; 09-03-20 at 11:03.

  8. #8

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,670
    Thanks (Received)
    120
    Likes (Received)
    1439

    Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

    Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    If he stands beside/over the ball, has a look around, and then kicks it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".
    If he picks it up and has a look around before kicking it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".

    IMO
    Not for me. I'm Ok for a player to weigh up his options and still meet the "without delay" requirement. I'd give him a couple of seconds.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  9. #9
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,343
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    382

    Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Hang on lancsbart... Did he kick it into touch-in-goal or did he kick it up field into touch ? I am confused.

    If the latter then it's just play on
    He made it dead, didn't he?

  10. #10

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,994
    Thanks (Received)
    76
    Likes (Received)
    1017

    Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    He made it dead, didn't he?
    kicking into touch makes the ball dead also?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •