Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

Afternoon everyone
    I think I know the answer but was flummoxed earlier today when this happened. 2nd half restart, ball into in goal without touching anyone. Defender, instead of dotting down and making the ball dead, picks up and kicks the ball into touch in goal.

Wasn't sure of the resulting decision so stated we'd kick off again - players (U16's) and coaches happy enough.

Suspect the decision was for the defending team to state either kick again or scrum on half way as the ball has been made dead by a defender having gone into in goal directly from the restart.

Law 12.9 only refers to the defender making the ball dead without delay, usually associated with dotting the ball down though this could, thinking logically, also equate to the ball going touch in goal and therefore being made dead.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancsbarts View Post
    Afternoon everyone
    I think I know the answer but was flummoxed earlier today when this happened. 2nd half restart, ball into in goal without touching anyone. Defender, instead of dotting down and making the ball dead, picks up and kicks the ball into touch in goal.

Wasn't sure of the resulting decision so stated we'd kick off again - players (U16's) and coaches happy enough.

Suspect the decision was for the defending team to state either kick again or scrum on half way as the ball has been made dead by a defender having gone into in goal directly from the restart.

Law 12.9 only refers to the defender making the ball dead without delay, usually associated with dotting the ball down though this could, thinking logically, also equate to the ball going touch in goal and therefore being made dead.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy.
    I think you have correctly answered your own question ie Scrum or retake. ...however I'msure others will chime in!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

I can understand why that threw you!

I think if he did it without delay, it's the options (kick again / scrum back)
    If he delayed, and then kicked it out, it's a 22m DO

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If he kicks it as soon as he was within reach, then options as that is "without delay".
    If he stands beside/over the ball, has a look around, and then kicks it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".
    If he picks it up as soon as he is within reach and immediately kicks it out, then options as that is "without delay".
    If he picks it up and has a look around before kicking it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".

IMO
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Agree with retaken kick / scrum back options, assuming it was done without delay. Law doesn’t specify how a player must make it dead!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=chbg;369033]If he kicks it as soon as he was within reach, then options as that is "without delay".
    If he stands beside/over the ball, has a look around, and then kicks it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".

He literally picked it straight up and booted it as far as he could. Obviously unaware of the law and was looking to basically get as far up field as he could so by interpretation, re start or scrum back as played "without delay". One to remember for next time!!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lancsbarts View Post
    [QUOT delay".

He literally picked it straight up and booted it as far as he could. Obviously unaware of the law and was looking to basically get as far up field as he could so by interpretation, re start or scrum back as played "without delay". One to remember for next time!!
    Hang on lancsbart... Did he kick it into touch-in-goal or did he kick it up field into touch ? I am confused.

If the latter then it's just play on
    Last edited by crossref; 09-03-20 at 11:03.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    If he picks it up and has a look around before kicking it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".

IMO
    Not for me. I'm Ok for a player to weigh up his options and still meet the "without delay" requirement. I'd give him a couple of seconds.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Hang on lancsbart... Did he kick it into touch-in-goal or did he kick it up field into touch ? I am confused.

If the latter then it's just play on
    He made it dead, didn't he?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    He made it dead, didn't he?
    kicking into touch makes the ball dead also?

Thread Information