Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default French Red Card

A nailed on red card but found the decision making to get there rather bizarre, especially not assessing the impact, literally, of Jim Ritchie to run in from some distance to catalyse the situation

Seemed a total disregard for: the offside line, staying on feet and entering rucks from the hindmost feet. When someone pings out of a ruck at an angle you have to question the where the force came from. Tis was also evident on Sat.

Found delays and indecisiveness around scrums etc broke the game significantly. Heard and saw inputs from WB which altered a quite clearly stated decision from "only a pen" to a yellow card and it seemed quite few other calls came in to prompt for clear offences that were not observed initially.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: French Red Card

Scotland were lucky not to get a YC at the fracas, I thought.

Williams didn't have a great game, decision making was slow and not always spot on, and there were some odd KO/backwards calls. This in cobtrast to a couple of excellent games at the WRC... perhaps he was a bit intimidated at having WB on the side line.

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

RC nailed on.

I'm thinking RC for the Scottish player running in from a distance after the whistle.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I felt that in deciding the Red card - that was entirely justified for the French #3 - the officials lost sight of the fact it all kicked off because the Scottish #6 came in from a distance to get involved.

The irony is that WB started the conversation by pointing this out, but then in the decision making for the red it got overlooked.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    I felt that in deciding the Red card - that was entirely justified for the French #3 - the officials lost sight of the fact it all kicked off because the Scottish #6 came in from a distance to get involved.

The irony is that WB started the conversation by pointing this out, but then in the decision making for the red it got overlooked.
    spot on. I think if WB had been reffing it would have been a RC for France, and a YC for Scotland
    Last edited by crossref; 08-03-20 at 21:03.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The oddest call for me was just after the red card restart, Scotland set up a ruck, as ball becomes available, a Scottish player is about to join it legallyto try to protect ball/create the ladder and ref says no you can't join!
    Well legally he can, it is up to the ref to call use it if the ball is available, doesn't stop player legally joining.
    Ciaran Trainor

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    The oddest call for me was just after the red card restart, Scotland set up a ruck, as ball becomes available, a Scottish player is about to join it legallyto try to protect ball/create the ladder and ref says no you can't join!
    Well legally he can, it is up to the ref to call use it if the ball is available, doesn't stop player legally joining.
    Oh, snap! I spotted this too just now, watching on catch-up. I just started a new thread on it as I thought the rules must have changed and I missed it!!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Agree with others, a Yellow for kicking it all of and a Red for the punch.
    I thought the earlier French Yellow for the tip tackle should have been a Red, the player came down right on his head and neck.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Unconnected to this, but two early awards for Scotland at the scrum - FK+PK IIRC? Both overheads clearly showed the scottish loose head boring/lost his arse sideways thius not pushig straight etc, turning the French tighthead outside shoulder down and in to collapse.

this was evident from the side view also where you see the fre4nch tight heads outside shoulder driven in and down

didds

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Unconnected to this, but two early awards for Scotland at the scrum - FK+PK IIRC? Both overheads clearly showed the scottish loose head boring/lost his arse sideways thius not pushig straight etc, turning the French tighthead outside shoulder down and in to collapse.

this was evident from the side view also where you see the fre4nch tight heads outside shoulder driven in and down

didds
    If you're going to go down that road, all 7 or 8 players who came running in should be carded. Plus he wasn't that far away. He didn't sprint half the length of the park. He was one of the closest players to the point. He saw 3 French player surrounding 1 Scottish player.

Thread Information