Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Accidental offside ?

      
  1. #11

    Referees in Wales
    Taff's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Join Date
    23 Aug 09
    Posts
    6,936
    Thanks (Received)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    344

    Default Re: Accidental offside ?

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    In the re write they changed the definition of played , without thinking through all the implications
    Exactly, but it must have been a conscious decision - after all, they could have just copied and pasted the old definition.

  2. #12

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,418
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1924

    Default Re: Accidental offside ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Exactly, but it must have been a conscious decision - after all, they could have just copied and pasted the old definition.
    I am sure it was conscious, generally the new definition it makes much more sense , but in this scenario it doesnt

  3. #13
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    981
    Thanks (Received)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    239

    Default Re: Accidental offside ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Strictly speaking I don't think she is offside (as defined) but the problem you will have is that almost everybody else will reckon she is offside - even including most of the players.
    This was my challenge, and had a couple of conversations post match about it (of course pretty much all the sideline definitions were wrong too - "she kicked it" etc). I think I'm comfortable with how I called it at this level (where it's still a lot of headless chickens that head towards the ball regardless) but at anything higher I would probably go for expected behaviour, especially if that's what my assessors are expecting - will raise at as a question at our next training meeting.

  4. #14

    Referees in Scotland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    20 Dec 17
    Posts
    561
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    168

    Default Re: Accidental offside ?

    I don't see how the interpretation should change at higher levels (until we get to TV rugby). Either it's offside at U15 and therefore adult levels, or its not.

    FWIW I'm going with the expected outcome. I appreciate the nuances of intentionally played, and it's clear in this instance there was no intent, however the vast majority of people expect this to be refereed as offside. I know we shouldn't just go with the majority (example rugby myths 1 through 100) however given 'nothing changed with the law book simplification" I'm going with the common interpretation of the ball being touched by a player, anyone in front playing the ball is offside, ergo PK.

  5. #15

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,418
    Thanks (Received)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    1924

    Default Re: Accidental offside ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I don't see how the interpretation should change at higher levels (until we get to TV rugby). Either it's offside at U15 and therefore adult levels, or its not.

    FWIW I'm going with the expected outcome. I appreciate the nuances of intentionally played, and it's clear in this instance there was no intent, however the vast majority of people expect this to be refereed as offside. I know we shouldn't just go with the majority (example rugby myths 1 through 100) however given 'nothing changed with the law book simplification" I'm going with the common interpretation of the ball being touched by a player, anyone in front playing the ball is offside, ergo PK.
    I would say
    - by Law the ball was not last played by green, so green players are not offside
    - by convention, in this scenario, we treat it as 'played' so they are

    It would be interesting to replace 'knee' with 'back of the head' in the scenario, and see if we treat that as offside?

  6. #16
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    981
    Thanks (Received)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    239

    Default Re: Accidental offside ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I don't see how the interpretation should change at higher levels (until we get to TV rugby). Either it's offside at U15 and therefore adult levels, or its not.
    Because, certainly here in RFU land up to and including U14 we are in new rules of play territory of which the number 1 variation is 'if it doesn't disadvantage the opposition play on' so we already have guidance to say play on whenever we can anyway, appreciate this is U15 but it's U15 girls where the experience and abilities are far short of most U15 boys so there are large elements of 'play on' where possible encouraged, ie don't penalise them on a technicality, crack on if we can as long as no disadvantage.

    Parents (and many coaches) don't get this, they all think it's the world cup final!

  7. #17

    Referees in England
    Lee Lifeson-Peart's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Join Date
    12 Mar 08
    Posts
    7,363
    Thanks (Received)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    721

    Default Re: Accidental offside ?

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    In the re write they changed the definition of ....insert anything to do with Rugby here.......without thinking through all the implications
    FTFY!
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

  8. #18
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,817
    Thanks (Received)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    450

    Default Re: Accidental offside ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Because, certainly here in RFU land up to and including U14 we are in new rules of play territory of which the number 1 variation is 'if it doesn't disadvantage the opposition play on' so we already have guidance to say play on whenever we can anyway, appreciate this is U15 but it's U15 girls where the experience and abilities are far short of most U15 boys so there are large elements of 'play on' where possible encouraged, ie don't penalise them on a technicality, crack on if we can as long as no disadvantage.

    Parents (and many coaches) don't get this, they all think it's the world cup final!
    YOu've answere your own point. At certain age groups the RFU (an other unions) have ages specific variations. Were these in place for your age group. Answer that and your question is answered. You don't "dumb down" the laws unless them above say so.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •