Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: WWE

Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    Hi OB, my 86 year old Devonian mother in law wanted to find out about her and her (deceased) husband's ancestors.

I used ancestry.co.uk free 14 day trial and got quite far back before having to start paying monthly subscription. I used for 12 months and managed to get back to 15th Century on her side.

The search engine works in the background and pops up "leaves" which are possible links.

Another suggested free database is the National Archives. Enjoy, I found it fascinating.
    My son did that. My Great Great Grandmother's brother was hanged in Newcastle Gaol for murdering his wife - it's grim up North. Fascinating stuff indeed.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    Hi OB, my 86 year old Devonian mother in law wanted to find out about her and her (deceased) husband's ancestors.

I used ancestry.co.uk free 14 day trial and got quite far back before having to start paying monthly subscription. I used for 12 months and managed to get back to 15th Century on her side.

The search engine works in the background and pops up "leaves" which are possible links.

Another suggested free database is the National Archives. Enjoy, I found it fascinating.
    I've mainly been using findmypast. I have just tried Ancestry's free trial but it still seems impossible to search census returns by street address.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    HRURS
    Grade
    6 - Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    I've mainly been using findmypast. I have just tried Ancestry's free trial but it still seems impossible to search census returns by street address.
    From memory you enter as much personal data as you know e.g. mother, father, siblings etc. then leave it to the search engine e.g. 12 hours. It will work in background and send you email alerts with "leaves". Some of these will be census data (I received quite a few).

Sorry I can't help you search census returns OB but I think it will serve up some helpful nuggets of the next 14 days.

Look forward to reading results of your digging.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

One presumes that Rugby School have no records in their alumni?
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for bringing up the subject OB.. I rediscovered Robbie’s wiki page ...

Can’t help you with the UK census, sorry.

I found his grave online, if that’s any help. Along with a page in French by the town of Menton. Not sure we should read too much into the «*He never married*» bit, other than, the fact that he was a bachelor to the end.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 31-03-20 at 16:03.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Thanks for bringing up the subject OB.. I rediscovered Robbie’s wiki page ...

Can’t help you with the UK census, sorry.

I found his grave online, if that’s any help. Along with a page in French by the town of Menton. Not sure we should read too much into the «*He never married*» bit, other than, the fact that he was a bachelor to the end.
    Thanks for the Menton page - I had not seen that before. The Gravesend reference is new to me.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A minor success: I have now found WWE in the 1841 census. I had forgotten that the 1841 census was the first one to record individual details, and for some reason they decided to round down the ages of all adults. WW Ellis is such a common name that I had been using his date of birth to reduce the answers to a manageable level. He was listed a Revd WW Ellis, Clergyman at 8 Grafton Street, which is just off Albemarle Street where he was chaplain.

For the 1851 census I thought I was in better shape. I found him in the Westminster Rate Books as Rev. William Webb Ellis of 9 Milford Lane, St Clement Danes subdivision. Things were a bit confused by the presence of another William Ellis nearby. The census returns went from 8 Milford Lane to 10 Milford Lane, proving that he was elsewhere on the relevant night.

Those Rate Books also show that he left Milton Lane around 1850. He did not start in Magdalen Laver until 1855, so I am still at a loss for the 1861 Census.

Thread Information